Baseball Miscellany

The previous one was ticky tack. That one was an easy and absolutely correct call.

Soto had all the time in the world to get out of the way and instead did that.

TIL That Savant also tracks bat speed on pitchers. Here are the ones on the Astros that have enought data to be shown:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/bat-tracking?type=pitcher

Completely agree. Just find it strange that I don’t remember that ever happening and then we get two in a week.

1 Like

Just on first glance, Framber getting more squared up and more “blasts” sounds exactly right, along with his highest “competitive swings”. He’s not fooling anyone, and they’re teeing off.

1 Like

A breakdown, including a little background on how the current rule came into effect:

E63 - Aaron Boone Ejected as Infield Fly Interference Rule Strikes Again w Vic Carapazza in Anaheim (youtube.com)

This is fun

Watch the video

1 Like

The Mets’ problems run a lot deeper than one shaky outing by a so-so reliever, even if he did get ejected and launch his glove into the stands. They can cut him if they want, but that’s not going to stop their defense from throwing balls wildly, or prevent Ottavino from getting crushed, or get Lindor to start hitting, or fix Alonzo’s hand, or …

They cannot ever fix their innate Mets-ness.

6 Likes

Remember when the league was scared shitless of Cohen’s half billion dollar super-team? That lasted about a week.

2 Likes

“That’s … where the Mets are at.”

1 Like

Thoughts and prayers for the fucking ny steM.

6 Likes

Yeah I don’t give a shit, I just said it was fun

I didn’t know that Jason Lane is now the 3B coach for the Cubs.

3 Likes

At least we won’t hear endless debates about whether this guy should be in the HOF

Time for a repost:

Screenshot 2024-06-03 at 19-27-01 I absolutely HATE sports betting it is a plague and should be banned

7 Likes

Lifetime ban officially announced for Marcano. One-year bans as well for:

• Oakland RHP Michael Kelly
  • Arizona LHP Andrew Saalfrank (AAA)
  • San Diego LHP Jay Groome (AAA)
  • Philadelphia 2B Jose Rodriguez (AAA)

Marcano put huge bets on baseball (totaling ~$150k, including on some Pirates games while he was on their major league injured list), but the others were all under $1k. Kelly in particular has to be kicking himself—he put down $99 across ten bets in 2021, which will now cost him over $700k in lost salary.

Imagine losing your career AND winning less than 5% of your bets.

1 Like

Angel Hernandez level accuracy.

3 Likes

Betting on individual baseball games has to be one of the riskiest things you can do. There is simply too much variation and too much randomness in any one game for that to be a sane move.

50 years ago tonight: Ten Cent Beer Night in Cleveland

(Free/gift link)

4 Likes