Baseball Miscellany

All you have to do is pick up a box of tile to realize that it’s a job for someone else.

4 Likes

Worst 4 days of my life (slight exaggeration) was re-tiling my aunt’s kitchen. Putting tile down is stupid easy, it was gettting the old tile out that wrecked me

Demolition, cleanup, installation of the new substrate, layout planning, preparation of mastic, cutting of tiles with a wet saw that flings ceramic mud in every direction, and placement of tiles being careful to maintain even spacing.

All that, and 99% of the tedium lays ahead because you still have to apply and seal the grout.

2 Likes

All I have to do is walk into a Home Depot and glance around for a minute. My son is likely to have one of those orange buckets on his head walking around like a robot knocking shit over. But once I get a little distance on him I look around and think, Yeah, I don’t think so. And then I hear another crash and quickly get the hell out of there.

6 Likes

I don’t know what substrate or mastic is. And you know damn well I don’t got one a them wet water saws.

Just in case you thought I was kidding.

12 Likes

We did not.

2 Likes

Shenanigans in Milwaukee, where Craig Counsel may have left but apparently red asses remain.

The announcers are of course terrible.

I have done a lot of tiling. Even have my own wet saw. But that was years ago. Saltillo tile was the worst. Bathroom tile was a piece of cake in comparison. I’ve also laid down my share of wood flooring too. A couple of years ago I went around my townhouse and put quarter rounds along the baseboards and after crawling around on my hands and knees for a week I swore I would never ever do any kind of floor work again. I still have that saw, if anyone is interested I’ll give you a great deal.

3 Likes

Siri’s brain is what keeps him from being a better ballplayer. No shortage of god given talent just a lack of mental acuity.

1 Like

Years ago (almost twenty - man, I’m getting old) I tore my right ACL playing rugby. After the surgery, the orthopedic surgeon told me I also had a pretty significant meniscus tear they didn’t catch on the MRI. Not to worry, he cleaned it up for me and I would “thank him later” for doing so. After six months of physical therapy, I’m back out on the pitch. First time I try to sidestep a guy, my knee buckles and I go down. Turns out, I have another meniscus tear in my right knee and need a second arthroscopy. A different orthopedic surgeon told me several years later that because of the ACL surgery (and especially with the meniscus tears) I was a prime candidate for early onset arthritis in my knee. Sure enough, a year and a half ago I’m weeding my front yard (i.e. kneeling and squatting for extended periods of time) and woke up the next day with bursitis. My doctor’s office looked at the X-Ray and, yep, at 47 years old I have arthritis. Still too young for a full knee replacement, so it’s self medication with Advil unless I want steroids or cortisone. Getting back into the gym and lifting weights has helped tremendously, though. Now, I have more stability in my knee and don’t feel a massive flash of pain if I take a bad step. Still hurts like hell on a daily basis.

1 Like

RE: Trout Injury - The Athletic had this great graphic in their baseball email today:

1 Like

In 2021, I felt something pop in my right knee after a run. Not during it mind you, after it.My right knee was my good knee. My left had already had three surgeries. MRI said torn miniscus. Put off surgery until 2022 and was dealing with significant arthritus pain with any activity beyond walking. After discussions with my doc, we finally did a steriod shot in December of last year and while I had that in my system I started doing some longer bike rides (indoor bike at the gym). It has been a significant improvement. I have already passed the time where he said I could have another steroid shot if I wanted. I don’t think that will be needed for a good while if things continue with the cycling.

1 Like

Good to know!! (Both for my own edification and that you’re doing better) I’ve been hesitant to do a steroid or cortisone shot. Fortunately, the Advil route has been more or less effective managing any severe pain, and it’s usually only at night before I go sleep.

Being careful but focused on what I’m doing in the gym might be the biggest thing. Haven’t had this much strength and stability since I was playing rugby in my 20’s and early 30’s.

I don’t have a fancy meniscus story (although I did work as a pharmacy tech for a time last century and had to be aware of how to read a meniscus and often did) but I do have a lousy back and have had steroid/cortisone shots in it and for me they never lasted very long and after you get 3 or 4 of them they pretty much stop working.

Everything I know about the meniscus is that it’s unique within the knee and any removal of tissue causes eventual long-term issues. The wisdom now is for athletes to heal and regenerate rather than “clean up” meniscus tissue.

I had a torn meniscus treated with PRP sessions (could not afford stem cell) and I have not had issue one with it in 5 years. Of course, I had to wear an unloader brace for 6 months and I’m not an elite athlete but I swear by it at this point.

1 Like

Sounds like there’s plenty of creaky knees around here that might appreciate that.

3 Likes

If I could back in time and give myself one piece of advice (aside from “short the housing market in ‘08”) it’d be to start working out at 16 instead of in my thirties. The body needs maintenance and upkeep just like any other machine.

3 Likes

So true. I’m not working out like I did when I was younger, but my workouts are still intense (for someone on their late 40’s) and the goal is as much about maintaining what I’ve rebuilt in the last few years as anything else. I read somewhere when I started getting back into gym that for men their forties represent the greatest period of muscle loss in their lives. Without doing anything to counteract it, essentially whatever muscle you have in when you turn 50 is what you’re working with for the rest of your life. The good news is that research shows the human body is eminently adaptable and it’s possible to (re)gain muscle even later in life.

ETA - dialing back on drinking alcohol would undoubtedly help, but that ain’t happening with the way the Astros are playing.

And @SidDithers thanks for the feedback on the shots. I hadn’t heard they could be so ineffective so quickly.

3 Likes

My POV is that there is something in my DNA that is ultimately going to kill me so I don’t want to help anything else do it ahead of time. At least, try my best not to.

1 Like