Baseball Miscellany

I dislocated my kneecap during childbirth classes. What do I win?

A baby.

7 Likes

My knees used to always ache, and I have an arthritic left hip, I used to take two Aleve every morning to cope with the pain. My doctor told me that long term, that shit was bad for my kidneys. I switched to Cosamin ā€“ a glucosamine chondroitin joint supplement, thinking it wouldnā€™t work but it did. It took two weeks to work its magic but Iā€™ve not had the knee pain or hip pain since.

1 Like

I was already getting one. I think I got a raw deal.

2 Likes

So, my tears were horizontal through the low bloodflow center of the meniscus and were vertical on the inside edge of my left knee at about the 11 oā€™clock position when looking down at your knee. Once the initial 2-week ā€œhurts like hellā€ period was over, it mainly hurt to walk down stairs or walk down a hill. So, the plan was:

• Do nothing other than moving around as best you can for the first 6 weeks, limiting all movements that might cause reinjury (like walking on a heavily rooted trail or deep knee bends)
  • Cortisone injection to reduce the overall swelling
  • Start walking immediately after the injection
  • Walk flat or uphill on a smooth surface (like a treadmill or paved sidewalk, not concrete with imperfections). Avoid anything that would make you stub your toe or have to move laterally
  • Start at 5 minutes, every other day for one week.
  • increase to 10 minutes every other day for week 2
  • increase by 5 additional minutes each week up to 30 minutes at week 6
    And, here is the start of the important part that includes intervals.
  • Week 7, start a walk/jog (or whatever knee exercises you like to do) regime, 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off, only running on uphill but increasing rest from 1 day to two.
  • Week 9, increase to 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off, only on uphill or flat.
  • Week 11, increase run to 20 minutes with 10 minute walk, only on uphill or flat
  • Week 13, run for 30 minutes, every 3rd day, only on flat or uphill
  • Week 15, slowly add in downhills over a 4 week period.
  • Week 15ā€“>25 All exercise should be in interval form, two days on, one day off to rebuild good form (whether that is running or lifting, etcā€¦)

The thinking here is it takes 16 weeks to build up scar tissue on cushioning tissues and then another 4 weeks or so for the scar tissue to shape and form to movement. My orthopedist said all of this follows the ā€œhurt, donā€™t harmā€ model of recovery where you generate the typical soreness of building mass (muscle, connecting tissues, cushioning tissues, etcā€¦) while not reinjuring. The increase in recovery days/times allows for that tissue buildup to happen. For those interested in that recovery model, Iā€™ve attached the peer-reviewed doc that it is based off of. It suggests that the #1 incidence of injury is not things like poor form, poor equipment, exerting too hard, all the normal stuff you typically hear. The #1 correlate is ramping up exercise too quickly or trying to recover from injury too quickly. The bodyā€™s physiological mechanisms to build strength and resilience are well understood but people (or coaches) pressure themselves to build or recover faster than the body can repair the microtears that are created through exercise. Leading to injury or reinjury. Hereā€™s the paper:

Besselink, et. al.

I typed this up really fast so it may lack a bit of coherence. Hit me up via PM if you have ??'sā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m curious if the mango didnā€™t fall too far from the treeā€¦

1 Like

I thought I would do an all Astros grid. It turned out to be easier than I anticipated.

3 Likes

Oaklandā€™s Brett Harris got his first two hits as a major leaguer, a homer. Then later in the got his second major league hit, another homer. Ya know, if the Astros canā€™t, I hope the Oakland Aā€™s win it all. And then when they move, I hope never win another game.

3 Likes

In hindsight, I wish I would have used Doug Drabek, because ā€“ fuck Gerrit Cole.

3 Likes

Rangers and Aā€™s have combined for 24 batters and 12 runs in the 2nd inning. Yes, they both left the bases loaded. Rangers lead 11-2.

Stripling didnā€™t make it out of the 2nd for Oakland, and UreƱa is likely finished after 2 for Texas. And they have a doubleheader tomorrow.

ETA: Theyā€™ve apparently told UreƱa to suck it up and stay in there and try not to give up 10 runs.

Me and Hank Aaron have 755 homers combined

3 Likes
Cabrera'ed!

Can I have your autograph?

3 Likes

The DOJ announced a plea agreement with Ippei. DocumentCloud

Heā€™s copping to bank fraud and submitting a fraudulent tax return. Under federal sentencing guidelines 87 to 108 months in the federal pokey. Thatā€™s a long time.

1 Like

The hype behind Paul Skenes debut tonight has been as great as Iā€™ve seen in a while. Currently under a rain delay.

Most hyped up pitching debut since Strasburg for sure

1 Like

Itā€™s tomorrow, isnā€™t it?

1 Like

I was just about to say that

Yes, I canā€™t read good.

Watching the Rangers@Rockies game, which is tied 2-2 in the bottom of the 8th. The announcers just said that the Rockies havenā€™t yet won back-to-back games this year. Itā€™s May 10th.

1 Like