Baseball Miscellany

This is purportedly a series of photos of Walter Johnson pitching. No guarantees that it’s real, but if it is it’s fascinating.

8 Likes

It looks like the Sydney Opera House

From what I have read about his pitching motion, I think it is real.

Assuming the time between frames is roughly equal, look how long he holds the ball back up behind his head (frame 4-7) as he starts to move his lower body forward to generate momentum.

My two favorite baseball stadiums have become Dodger (despite the Dodgers) and Kauffman in Kansas City, in part because they’re beautiful and in part because they’re a break from the modern retro stadiums. I love the modern retros, especially MMPUS, but it’s good Las Vegas is doing something different.

I would assume anything being built in Vegas would need to be way OTT, but the A’s will still lose 100 games.

The rendering not having any stadium lights is a nice throwback.

1 Like

Who knew Sammy Gervacio was the reincarnation of the Big Train?

There is film of him pitching and this looks exactly like that. He had arms down to his knees.

I’ll give it this: it actually does look like it’s designed with its surroundings and environment in mind.

I bet they plan to light it with the glow from the slots lining the concourse.

1 Like

Or the lit cigarettes of the retirees playing those slots.

2 Likes

The ubiquitous indoor cigarette smoke is a unique throwback aspect of Las Vegas.

7 Likes

I dont understand odds and i understand them less now.

It’s a joke. Bet on the Yankees to win, lose your money.

2 Likes

Those O’s odds are ridiculously wrong. This, knowing that odds are not just a measure of a teams chances but also incorporate the betting behaviors of various populations and are shaped so that the “House” does not incur too much risk.

I guess that’s why they’re known as “betting” odds.

In which direction? It’s generally in line with BP and Fangraphs projections.

I can easily see the O’s winning 100 games again and finishing far ahead of the Yankees. And, I can see the O’s as probably a strong #2, just behind the Dodgers to win it all.

2 Likes