Baseball Miscellany

Astros start as FanGraphs favorite to make WS, third for title behind ATL and LAD

Today in very unfortunate ellipses editingā€¦

3 Likes

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred reiterates that he will step down as commissioner in January, 2029, after his 5-year term expires.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1758255749774598156

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

5 Likes

Another article from Passan on the inevitable expansion to 32 teams, mostly recapping what we already know. It probably wonā€™t happen until the early 2030s, the expansion fees are going to be enormous (maybe 10x higher than the Tampa/Arizona fees, even adjusting for inflation), and Nashville and Salt Lake City are the frontrunners right now because theyā€™ve got strong and well-prepared groups advocating for their cities. But nothing is certain until the Aā€™s are relocated and the Rays have a new stadium (be it in the Tampa area or in another city altogether).

1 Like

I really hope they donā€™t do the 4-team divisions thing. Iā€™d much prefer the 8-team structure. 4-team divisions will just lead to even worse teams fluking their way into the postseason on the back of a weak division.

The only good thing about the 4-team division structure is not having the Texas teams and west coast teams in the same division.

1 Like

Personally, Iā€™m ready to go back to two 16-team leagues. Maybe the top two in each league make it, maybe only the winner. Make the regular season games meaningful. And finish everything in October.

3 Likes

My ideal would be 16 team leagues, 2 divisions of 8, top 2 in each make the postseason, 7 game series all the way. 8 total postseason teams out of 32 is a great mix of regular season matters and regular season is still exciting down the stretch.

Yā€™all are crazy if you think theyā€™ll reduce the number of postseason games. Just pray they donā€™t expand it further.

8 Likes

No chance they reduce, youā€™re right. Thatā€™s just MY ideal.

1 Like

We can dream.

No way they donā€™t add to playoffs if/when they expand if not sooner.

The league already tried to make the playoffs larger and had to settle for 12 teams.

Just a matter of time.

I think we need 16 2-team divisions. Winner advances automatically as does one wildcard from each division. Best of 11 format. That would allow them to shorten the regular season to 106 games: 8 home and 8 away at all members of the ā€œrivalā€ division and the remaining Intra-divisional in 4-game series.

Among the advantages ā€¦

• preserving all regular season records from pollution by future innovations.
  • creating a whole new flood of ā€œmost playoff ____ everā€ records.
  • allowing Pirate fans and others to have time off to prepare for football season.
4 Likes

I was looking at Miguel Tejadaā€™s numbers, and I was a bit surprised that heā€™s not a HoFer, but I was really surprised that he didnā€™t even get 5% on his first ballot. Was he a victim of the steroid stink?

He has a PED suspension late in his career

1 Like

Thanks, I didnā€™t know that. Or at least I didnā€™t remember it.

Yeah, more than ā€œstinkā€. He was plum covered in stench.

Who on the Aā€™s wasnt juiced up?

His MVP season was the Moneyball Season. I donā€™t think guys like Mabry, Hatteberg, Zito, Et al. were into that. I always had the impression that Tejada picked it up from Palmeiro during his days in Baltimore.

Thereā€™s a a story about one of them having a ā€œvitamin drinkā€ or something similar that the other one tried.

My recollection was that Palmeiro said it was Tejadaā€™s but I may have that backwards.

Either way, steroid era explains the HoF issue for both.