Baseball Miscellany

Found the full version, 3 minutes longer.

1 Like

Definitely makes you want to watch some baseball, and a baseball movie or two

1 Like

Frontline has their Astros program tonight at 9 CST; will watch to see if the blame net is cast wide or narrow

1 Like

Trevor Bauer has a development in his legal case

Ben Reiter, Astroball, is a producer.

I’m still not going to watch.

1 Like

Nor I. Stirring the pot again just in time for the postseason.

1 Like

I watched all 90 minutes.It took 45 minutes to get to the scandal. The Manfred report on NYY and BoSox was referenced, mainly to highlight the requirement to distribute his memo among the high level administration and managers. Luhnow, who now is the chief executive of a collection of steadily improving Madrid soccer teams, knew Hinch had the memo and claimed no knowledge of the scheme. Hinch refused participation in the Frontline program. In the end, Beltran was blamed for the sign stealing, because his season performance needed a boost. The Astro culture was blamed, beginning with Luhnow and going thru Roberto Osuna, Assistant Brandon Taubman, and Alex Cora fleetingly. Fay Vincent was interviewed at the end, and blamed the owners for bottom line thinking. Everyone was afraid of the players’ union.

2 Likes

And at the end of the day everyone seems satisfied they know all there is to know about stealing/conveying signs electronically in modern MLB, namely it begins and ends with the Astros.

Just the way Manfred wants it.

3 Likes

The goddamn players union got nothing to do with it.

1 Like

Banning players, as Fay Vincent recommended and about which Rob Manfred later had buyer’s remorse, elicited the aforementioned player’s union concern.

If he banned players on only one team when he and everyone knew it was an MLB-wide problem, he would be in shit well over his head.

6 Likes

That is exactly why.

There would have been a major bloodletting.

3 Likes

Yep, banning players would be a path to mutual assured destruction. Astros players would go scorched earth and burn the league down. If people think the steroid fallout was bad, they have no idea how ugly things would have gotten.

Plus I highly doubt any punishment of players would have actually stuck because the memo outlining punishent specifically said management would be held accountable.

This right here. Manfred had already established the players wouldn’t be touched.

If anyone is curious enough to want to watch it here is a link:

Edge, eh? The assumption is if you know what’s coming, you’ll get a hit? It ain’t that easy, friends.

1 Like

I think it’s still fair to call it an edge if you know what’s coming. There’s a reason everyone tries to pick signs, right?

If Edge is narrowly defined, ok. Hitting the ball squarely is not a given no matter what the hitter knows. Knowing will tell him what to be ready for certainly. I tried to relay signs I got to my hitters so they would not chase curves and would be ready for fastballs. That was the required approach anyway, but knowing made it easier. In that sense, it is an edge. It also is an edge many teams had, not only Houston.

Edge in the context of the doc, I watched it, is the Astros being on a leading edge of the sport in all aspects. The theme of the doc, at least my takeaway, is that the Astros tried to get every edge possible but eventually took it too far. It’s extremely tame as far as “scandal” docs go.

3 Likes

I say watch out for the edge of my big, fat replica World Series Champion ring. It’ll get you.

10 Likes