Baseball Miscellany

Settling that deal will mean an expansion announcement in the near future.

1 Like

Yep. Seems like the next big push from Manfred. With the A’s claiming Vegas, my way-too-early bet is on Nashville and Salt Lake City winning the bids. Both are strong locations with seemingly well-financed groups pursuing a franchise.

1 Like

Well with the A’s leaving, Oakland has an empty stadium, maybe a team could go there?

1 Like

My guess is Nashville and Portland. I think Nashville is a given as long as the can get the Braves and Reds to sign off.

That empty stadium is the reason they are bugging out.

1 Like

$1.2 Billion and only 30,000 seats. or $4 Million per seat.

1 Like

I was in Nashville last week for the first time in 8 or 9 years. That town has certainly grown up. Sounds attendance is 7600 per game this year and the A’s are at 8500. There is Sounds memorabilia everywhere in town so the team seems well liked and I am guessing they’d get a tourist bump as well, somewhat similar to what the Vegas A’s are expecting.

1 Like

I can’t imagine the Braves would be good with sharing territory that close to home. They end up with no choice, but they’re going to fight it. The Cardinals would have to share additional territory, as well.

Nashville does seem assured of getting one of the new teams. For the other Portland has long been seen as the leader out west with Salt Lake coming in lately, apparently Oakland will make a push with potentially a Howard Terminal proposal, and I wonder if Austin puts their hat in the ring over the next year

I was wondering about the Cards because I know their games are blacked out in Memphis.

They share the western half of Tennessee with the Braves and Reds, and I’m assuming Nashville would get all of TN. Not sure if they’d continue to split, but any new team in Nashville would expect some exclusivity, I’d think.

Is this a serious question?

Not at all. I’ve been to Almeda County Stadium and calling it a dump is an insult to dumps. Good food though–at least when we were there 20ish years ago it was good.

1 Like

There was a time when the Cards were dominant throughout the lower Midwest and the South.
Or so I’m told.

Are territories the going to be the way MLB divvies things up in the future?

There was a time when players traveled by train from town to town and there were brass beds in the hotel rooms and brass spittoons in the lobby…

1 Like

Well, that’s the $64 question. Such a model may be obsolete soon anyway.

The food there has always been fantastic, even in recent experience. Not having to wait in line for it is a plus.

3 Likes

My first reaction was that SA makes more sense but I guess Austin has more corporate dollars

I’ve always thought that if the NFL expanded again and wanted a 3rd Texas team(Jerry Jones would never let this happen), San Marcos would be a great location to capture both San Antonio and Austin. Probably wouldn’t work for baseball though.