Baseball Miscellany

Whitley has never played for the Astros.

3 Likes

His was an injury, but man, did I think he was going to be great.

1 Like

Carlos Gomez is by far the most disappointing for me.

Fuck that guy.

5 Likes

Jason Lane. Hit a ton in the minors.

Colin Porter is who I was remembering, but Charleston Jimerson (from year 2 or 3) would also be a good choice. Eric Ireland might fit in the pen.

Jason was always surprising though - not someone seen as ā€œthe next big thingā€. He hit AAA mistakes but there were fewer mistakes at the next level.

FIFY

2 Likes

Disappointment takes many forms. All signs really pointed to him being a special player.

Russ Johnson is someone I thought wouldā€™ve been a far better player than he was.

Floyd Bannister, although the Phil Nevin machinations which caused Hal Newhouser to retire deserve a special citation.

Wrong thread

Carry on

Chris Johnson, too, since weā€™re talking about our Johnsons.

You just reminded me of Cliff Johnson. Who actually had a pretty decent career. After he left the Astros.

Ty Gainey

I did not think he was terrible as an Astro. Lots of unrealized potential for sure.

I agree. He had a some pretty good years for the Astros.

Is my memory wrong that Purpuraā€™s tenure was when Drayton stopped signing top draft picks?

Yes, culminating in the 2007 draft disasterā€”but unless Drayton told Purpura heā€™d pay over slot and then took the money off the table, Purpura and the scouting staff share the blame for not having gauged signability correctly.

1 Like

Basically everything involving Drayton and a GM from 2006-2011 was a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

2 Likes

2004 -2011.

1 Like