Baseball Miscellany

Purpura is aptly named; uncontrolled systemic bleeding. He’s no Spec Richardson, who set the franchise back a decade.

After 2008 was next level. At least before then Drayton was actually trying, albeit making some bad choices in the process. But Ike fucking broke him… he abandoned the team on the side of the road and it just sat there rusting for four years…

1 Like
1 Like

Glad it was above the belt…

2 Likes

I saw Rodney Linares get thrown out of a game like that. Batter got hit on the hand. Took off his glove to show the ump and the ump wouldn’t change his call that it hit the bat. Rodney took great exception and was tossed.

If you haven’t seen this, it’s funny and painful to watch at the same time.

Rewatched Major League tonight.

I feel that we, collectively, focus too much on Tim Robbins’ poor pitching in Bull Durham, and not on how much worse Chelcie Ross was as Ed Harris. He looks like he’s never even seen someone throw a baseball.

1 Like

This is one thing that always bothered me about Eight Men Out. Most of the guys could play…Sweeney, Cusack, Sheen…all experienced ball players, and it showed. The pitchers, however, were awful. David Strathairn was as bad as Ross and James Read wasn’t much better.

It was focused on the off the field stuff, so playing skill was not an emphasis in the film

David Strathairn was sort of a John Sayles repertory player and appeared in most of Sayles 80s movies.

Really interesting twitter thread on mechanics and pitch design, using Angels flamethrower Ben Joyce’s MLB debut as a test case. This is one of the things Brent Strom and his disciples are so good at, building a repertoire to fit the pitcher’s natural strengths and mechanical tendencies.

Is it possible to revoke the postseason berths of both Central divisions?

Relegate them.

1 Like

Padres games will be broadcast by MLB moving forward due to Diamond Sport’s not paying the team.

https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/1663726010846834688

I’m so out of it. Is this “pronator/supinator” a new category, or has it been around for a while? And, at what point in the delivery is the classification made? I ask this because I was under the impression that all baseball pitchers eventually pronate in their follow through, even after they supinate into a curve/slider delivery.

Also, not sure how one pronates a slider.

Interesting line of inquiry though. Knowing what pitches complement others in a repertoire is fascinating, and knowing what pitches are possible based on natural throwing motion is new to me, though I’m just an average fan.

“pronator/supinator”

WTF?

It was what I gathered from the tweet in Moriarty’s post. That tweet author seems to break down pitchers into pronators and supinators

curveball vs screwball wrist action, i think

Yeah, I know. I have not read it yet.

Technical term for the twisting motion of the arm/wrist:

Pronation = palm/forearm down

Suppination = palm/forearm up

(Sorry if everyone knows this)

1 Like