Baseball Miscellany

Boom, perfect, fuck Phil Nevin (how cool would a Bags/Biggio/Jeter/Cammy IF have looked?)

Robbie Wine

Appel, of course

Appel over Whitley for me. College pitcher who was a consensus 1-1 guy in two straight drafts collapsing in High-A is a much bigger disappointment than a mid-1st round HS arm not panning out, whatever heights he reached on the prospect rankings.

2 Likes

Mark Appel was actually pretty good for a few games last season with the Phills.

ETA: 6 games 10.1 innings 1.74 ERA.

Sorry, I did not know the rules.

There are no rules.

Jason Hirsh

1 Like

Then do not disqualify my entry, Czar!

1 Like

Since there are no rules, I am opening the group category - Just about everyone drafted by the Astros in 2005 to 2007. Combined WAR of those signed by the Astros 7.9. Combined WAR of those drafted by not signed 9.2. Here are your “winners” from that lot:
Highest Position Player War - Brian Bogusevic 2.1 career WAR (BR’s numbers don’t add up so I am going with the total they give)
Over 1000 AB in the Majors - Brandon Barnes - Career 0.7 WAR
Highest Pitching War - Bud Norris 5.4 WAR

Tim Purpura just made the top 5 list of most hated front office Astro.

2 Likes

I’m more of a benevolent dictator.

Chris Burke

1 Like

Tim Purpura just made the top 5 list of most hated front office Astro.

It’s crazy that he had minor league development bonafides out the wazoo and was talked about in baseball circles as the “next big thing” before he was promoted by the Stros.

What a disappointment that turned out to be.

1 Like

C: Wine
1B: AJ Reed
2B: Burke
SS: A. Cedeno
3B: Nevin
OF: Anthony, Mouton, ???

Redding
Appel
Whitley
C. Hernandez
Hirsh

You would’ve won a hell of a lot of AAA games with that team.

1 Like

I think we’re an anarcho-syndicalist commune

2 Likes

Look man, there’s no farcical aquatic ceremony involved.

Cameron Drew?

2 Likes

Mitch Meluskey

1 Like

Who was the next Mickey Mantle on the original RR team? Colin somebody or somebody Collins? Played CF pretty well but too many Ks. Lost to waivers IIR - maybe got a cuppa with the Co-Ards? He could fill that last OF spot and bat 9th.

Roberto Petagine can DH.

1 Like

Collin Porter? I have no recollection of him at all. But that team did have Keith Ginter and Wilfredo Rodriguez.

What about Brett Wallace or Jon Singleton?

Charlton Jimerson

Goddamn, that is a name I haven’t heard on a long time.

Cameron Drew

1 Like