Baseball Miscellany

Good for Joe!

3 Likes

Agreed. Heā€™s earned a shot at a Big League skipper job.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know about the method but the course was way over due.

1 Like

Happy for Joe as well, but I sure wanted him to be our next manager.

1 Like

It was basically fired Woodward on a Monday and Daniels on that Friday or whatever. When Woodward was fired, Jon Daniels sat up there and answered questions about it. When asked about Daniels being fired the owner said he made the decision to fire Daniels Sunday. So he had already decided to fire the GM but still had the GM fire the manager, and take the ā€œheatā€ at the press confrence about the firing. Pretty fucking shitty

Agree

Still no confirmation on the Espada report. Doesnā€™t necessarily mean it isnā€™t trueā€”could be that they wonā€™t confirm while the Astros are still playing. If itā€™s true, Iā€™m very happy for him.

I hope heā€™s not taking the Marlins job. That seems like a losing situation.

1 Like

I just read a report saying CWS brass is still interviewing. Says Ozzie G. is in talks about returning.

Not sure I like that the Angels and Rangers are seemingly trying to become competent with new FO and Manager hires.

Espada will get a job soon, heā€™s too good not to.

Oh my god this would be comedy gold

4 Likes

anyone volunteering to live in chicago?

Martin Maldonado has been named a silver slugger finalist.

I donā€™t care how shiny and sparkly Ohtani is, if Alvarez doesnā€™t win it at DH, thereā€™s something seriously wrong.

2 Likes

Ohtani is a finalist at 2 positions ( as is Springer)

UT despite not playing an inning in the field except at pitcher?

1 Like

The Korean Series wrapped up tonight with #1 ranked SSG Landers (Incheon) defeating the #3 ranked Kiwoom Heroes (Seoul). Whatā€™s interesting about the KBO is the playoff format which looks like this:

KBO Postseason Structure

• Wild Card (ģ™€ģ¼ė“œģ¹“ė“œ): #4 and #5 face off in a ā€œbest of 3 seriesā€ in which the #4 team is considered to have already won one game. In other words, either one or two games will be played. The #5 team must win two games to advance, whereas the #4 team can advance with just one win or tie. (No #5 team has ever done this.)

• Semi-Playoff (ģ¤€PO/ģ¤€ķ”Œė ˆģ“ģ˜¤ķ”„): The Wild Card winner faces #3 in a best of 5 series: two games at #3 teamā€™s home stadium, a travel day, two at the other teamā€™s home, another travel day, and the final game at #3ā€™s home.

• Playoff (PO/ķ”Œė ˆģ“ģ˜¤ķ”„): The Semi-Playoff winner faces #2 in a best of 5 series (same format as Semi-Playoff).

• Korean Series (ģ½”ģ‹œ/ķ•œźµ­ģ‹œė¦¬ģ¦ˆ): The Playoff winner faces #1 in a best of 7 series: two games at the #1 teamā€™s home stadium, a travel day, three games at the other teamā€™s home, another travel day, and the final two games at #1ā€™s home.

Pretty wild stuff.

1 Like

So #1 could have to wait something like 17 days before playing again? I guess theyā€™d at least have their pitching lined up.

Yep only two teams play at a time. Basically a gauntlet.

Wow. I wonder if MLB teams could learn something about how to keep pitching (and the whole team) prepared and sharp from the teams that have been #1 since this format started.

@Matt , Do the #1 teams win that final series regularly or are they trounced routinely?