Baseball Miscellany

Another reason that catchers have to be a little crazy:

It’s a ballsy position to play.

They don’t call them the “tools of ignorance” for nothing.

One of my favorite stories of my son playing baseball was his freshman year, he was the JV catcher. We were playing in a tournament and a foul ball bounced of the plate and hit him behind where his cup was in his slide shorts (starting wearing a jock strap after that game). As he is doubled over, the assistant coach comes and ask him “feel like your balls went back up inside ya?”. My son nodded. Coach says “If you put your thumb in your mouth and blow hard, they will drop back down”. My son had his him halfway to his mouth when he realized the coach was joking and everyone broke out in a laughter around home plate, including my son.

4 Likes

I’ve never had to go to the hospital for getting hit in the nuts, but I’ve coughed blood from it. And have had to have games stopped. And wished in that moment someone would shoot me in the head.

My best friend plays catcher and has caught for me a 100 times in adult league. Every time I see a catcher get hit there I text him that he is a lunatic, along with a video of the catcher getting hit.

I’ve been told more times that I can count that I am an idiot for being a catcher. And quite possibly for many other reasons. It’s certainly not for everyone.

1 Like

As I may have said here before, my career as a catcher lasted 15 minutes at a LL practice. I was fine catching the ball when the hitter swung, but I got hit 4 times with foul tips. After my stint was over, I took off the gear and told my Coach/Dad “Never again.”

1 Like

I filled in for 2 innings my last year in little league before high school because our normal catcher was running late and the coaches gear fit me the best. Worst 2 innings of my baseball life. I respect the hell out of the nutcases that do it but certainly not for me

Biggest benefit of being left handed - Nobody wants you to catch.

5 Likes

Ron Kulpa.

We still remember.

2 Likes

Even worse, what started the whole bruhaha was Francona wanted to challenge a HBP and Kulpa would not let him. Francona lost his shit, arguing it was a reviewable play, he had a challenge, he wanted to challenge, and Kulpa simply said “no”.

When both managers get tossed without a pitch being thrown, you know you’ve fucked up the game management.

Ron Kulpable

1 Like

That’s a lot of games.

Missed this play a couple of nights ago. Jonah Heim with Machete-like reflexes. Pretty impressive.

3 Likes

That’s incredible.

5 Likes

WTF

Wow. Gonna be a short stay.