Baseball Miscellany

Not following the national news much these days?

1 Like

Nothing controversial, but an interesting play. Ump nailed it.

August 2022 Call of the Month is Ramon De Jesus’ Adamant Foul Ball Call in Seattle - YouTube

I wonder what the record for most strikeouts by father and son is?

The authorization cards have been returned with more than 50% of minor leaguers voting for a union. Either MLB will approve MLBPA as the bargaining representative for minors players or it will go to a more formal vote overseen by the NLRB.

Assuming the unionization effort is successful (which seems fairly assured at this point), the union will grow from roughly 1,200 members currently to well over 5,000 members. That number could grow further. The vote only involved players on domestic rosters. The MLBPA apparently plans to eventually unionize players on DSL rosters as well.

I think the net effect of all this could be two-fold: (1) Latin players will have an increasing say in union negotiations with MLB (possibly further torpedoing MLB efforts to create an international draft) and (2) labor costs for teams will increase dramatically and we’ll see a possible further reduction in the number of minor league teams (which has previously been speculated on).

“Right now, I feel like there’s way more awareness in understanding that it’s about having better sleep, better travel, better food, better paychecks help you perform at a higher level.” – Francisco Lindor

It’s still amazing to me that it’s taken this long for people to figure this out.

Well, it’s now Roger and Kody Clemens. Prior to yesterday, I believe it was Mel and Todd Stottlemyre.

Link to a video of the strikeout:

2 Likes

Also: if the phrase “for all the pitching work he has had to do” is used for one of your position players you probably have some issues with your pitching staff.

1 Like

Ohtani signed the ball for Clemens.

1 Like

Gottlieb admits today he lied about Casey Close not communicating the offer to Freeman and is apologizing in the hopes Close will drop the lawsuit against him (which may happen).

To his credit
Gottlieb admitted he is a card
Carrying fraud

I really hope he doesn’t.

Fuck that clown.

But still manages to blame it on his sources. As if it would have been impossible to call Close himself for confirmation before broadcasting an inflammatory claim.

You made me look horrible to my multimillion dollar clients for 6 months potentially costing me tons of money. How much are you worth? Because that’s what you owe me. - me, if I was Casey Close

FIFY

“Sources” is the name of his imaginary friend.

Manfred says MLB will recognize so basically it’s a done deal.

Now the interesting part begins. I have no idea what this contract is going to look like.

It’s gonna look like MLB pretends it has no money.