Astros @ DBacks, April 12, 2022

Heading to the 9th still 1-1

Can we score some fucking runs?

Please

Uncle Mike!

Blum, at contact: “gosh he can hit”

1 Like

Siri scores from second on a single to left field by Brantley. 2-1. Altuve on 3rd, 2 outs.

Bregman flies out to deep center.

Astros win 2-1! Nice K by Pressly to end it.

3 Likes

A win!

1 Like

Thank you Uncle Mike

Win is a win. Nice job, Astros. On to mañana.

1 Like

Watched only the first half of the game. I hate West Coast/AZ start times. My curse is waking up too damn early, no matter how much I need/want to sleep late. That curse has been my fate all my life, but I digress.

The box score tells me (I think) Siri doubled in the 9th, but there is no mention of it here. I know he scored from second on Uncle Mike’s hit because I watched the highlight. I also watched the highlight of Siri’s monster home run.

One of my eccentricities is to pick a relatively obscure player or players I like each year and to root for him to succeed, perhaps for the first time in his career. My late buddy Dan and I did this with minor leaguers each year in ST. When I say “I like” I am talking about baseball skills I see. I do not claim to be correct in my assessments, but this is one of the fun things I get out of watching baseball.

Last year it was Straw, and I convinced many of you I am crazy by maintaining “he can play” from ST on. Later in the year it was Maton. This year it is Siri and Montero and to a lesser extent Abreu. I admire Siri’s perseverance through many years in the minors, and he must have thought more than once he would never get to MLB. Montero and Abreu have great arms, period. They may never maximize their immense talents, but I hope the Astros (and OWA) are patient with them because their ability to throw is special.

As I have said before, and I do not claim to be unbiased, I would keep Siri and one of Chas/Jake and try to trade the other. Jake is the superior talent over Chas if he is healthy, and Siri has the best tools of the three. All three are potential starters.

I am rooting for all of the Astros, of course, but my primary “he can play” guys this year are Siri and Montero. If I am wrong about them, it will not be the first time.

4 Likes

Jim, that is like the Illiad for you. Never thought I would see a multiple paragraph post.

Yes to most of your thought process. But my recollection is that Brantley is a free agent after this season. Not sure I want to lose any of the outfield depth - understanding that it is a luxury this season - to prepare for life after Uncle Mike (though the way he is swinging the bat, another 2-year extension may be in order).

Here is the Siri double. Watching live it looked like a routine single and then you see Siri going for second and I was like what the hell…. Then he makes it standing up.

I was wondering if he knew the rf was lefthanded

That is the difference between you and me. I watch the games; I do not play GM.

ETA: not my first multi-paragraph post nor will it be my last. Many of them are in the morning with my first cup of coffee, and usually I am reflecting on something or other.

1 Like

Is this some sort of subtle criticism? If so, astonishing.

Honestly, it was a compliment. I appreciate your brevity. Not in my skillset.

As far as playing GM, no more so than the typical fan. But I won’t lie, I like the game behind the game nearly as much as the game itself.

Roster construction. Contract structure. Imagining best path forward. I rarely delude myself into thinking I am more right than those in charge (Correa:Pena being the most recent example). But I admit I enjoy the speculation.

Jim, I meant no offense. I enjoy learning more about the game from you. And that you teach it in a paucity of words is all the better. 10 words or 1,000 - I’m picking up what you are putting down.

1 Like

Nope

There is no doubt that Siri has eye-popping tools. And that he displays them every night. Good and/or bad.

Last night it was:

1. 30% probability catch w/ 30.7 sprint speed.
  2. 456 ft homerun to Break a tie.
  3. get thrown out stealing by 15 feet.
  4. turn a routine single into a double.

It’s one thing to have tools. It’s another to actually use them and impact the game.

I love watching Siri and I think he is contagious. He plays with an emotion and joy that is needed on this roster IMHO.

2 Likes

The way you describe him makes me think of a player in Toronto.

4 Likes