Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2023

Agreed. Can’t imagine it wouldn’t be Hensley.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they send Salazar down instead of Hensley. He’s only had 10 ABs. Seems like a waste of a roster spot.

I agree with this as well, though I think Hensley has been so bad he should be the one.

But regarding Salazar, the Astros are one of only 3 teams (Reds and Cardinals) who carry 3 catchers. I don’t understand why Salazar is on the roster. I could understand if it was the playoffs. I could understand if the third catcher added some extra value like being a burner on the bases. But I just don’t see what Salazar brings to the table as to why the Astros want him on the roster. Having said that, all that matters is what the brass thinks, but I can’t stand it when they let Salazar catch while the most likely future catcher rides pine. Let Diaz get every rep that Maldonado isn’t taking.

One other thing to consider though. They may not have anyone else they are prepared to bring up to take a spot from someone like Salazar. It could be that they want eveyone who is in AAA currently, getting everyday at bats and they aren’t worried about that with Salazar. So there’s that to consider as well.

With Altuve back, Hensley would get about as much playing time as Salazar does now. And if they’re going to have a “wasted” roster spot I’d rather it be an emergency catcher than an emergency DH who isn’t hitting.

4 Likes

Hensley to AAA confirmed. I hope he can get himself right in Sugar Land. I still think he’s a really talented player with a lot of promise.

https://twitter.com/thevandalorian/status/1659649607129767947?s=46&t=rkjPubVOfCnV-cZxzpUifw

This was the right move in my opinion. Glad it wasn’t Julks. I’d think Dubon going to get some DH time now as long as he continues to produce with the bat.

José Urquidy said he is still shut down but hopes to start throwing again next week. He stayed behind in Houston during the last road trip but hopes to travel with the team for the upcoming trip to Milwaukee and Oakland.

https://twitter.com/danielle_lerner/status/1659661441605984256

I don’t see Dubon DHing.

I see him playing as a way to get Altuve, Bregman, and Abreu 1/2 off days at DH

2 Likes

I agree Hensley was the right call.

I just wish Julks wasn’t still taking playing time from Chas and/or Jake.

Especially now that Dubon will be cutting into that as well.

Its a crime that Chas isn’t starting vs a LH tonight

I am happy with Julks, Chas & Jake sharing time until one shows he can’t be benched.

1 Like

I am too, because Dubon in the outfield, while it isn’t bad, it is a clear step down defensively from the other three. That’s why I would have no problem with Dubon as DH to keep his bat in the lineup as long as he continues to hit .300ish. Honestly, as long as he can keep his average at that level, that isn’t much different from what we would have gotten from Brantley in that DH role, at least average wise. And then he can move around the infield on occasion giving folks a day off.

No reason Dubon can’t get 10-15 at bats a week in a utility role.

I’m not saying I want Dubon in the outfield. I absolutely don’t unless 2-3 other outfielders are hurting or fatigued

But I have watched Dusty enough to know thats whats going to happen. He even sat Chas in favor of Dubon last year when Dubon was terrible.

1 Like

Dubon at DH forces Alvarez to LF leaving only 1 spot for Chas & Jake and nothing for Julks. As hot as Dubon has been, he needs to be somewhere regularly though. I’m not sure 10 AB/week is enough.

1 Like

I would like to see:
C) Diaz as close to 1/2 as possible but lets say 4 starts every 2 weeks. Maldy starts the rest and Salazar allows Diaz to DH.

1b) Diaz 2 starts every 2 weeks and Abreu the rest.

2b) Dubon 4 starts every 2 weeks and Altuve the rest.

3b) Dubon 1 start every 2 weeks, Bregman the rest.

SS) Dubon 1 start every 2 weeks. Pena the rest.

LF) Alvarez 4 starts and Dubon 1 start every 2 weeks. Chas gets the rest.

CF) Chas gets 3 starts every 2 weeks and Meyers gets the rest.

RF) Dubon 1 start every 2 weeks. Tucker the rest.

DH) Altuve 3 starts and Diaz 2 starts every 2 weeks, Alvarez the rest.

That gives Dubon 8, Diaz 8, Chas 10-12, Meyers 9-11and Maldy 8-10 starts every 2 weeks. Abreu 1 day off per week. Everyone else gets 1 day off every 2 weeks.

Great plan! Really nice having the options.

It helps not having cold bats coming off the bench to PH/etc, not to mention resting the starters for the long haul.

Where’s Julks?

Ideally AAA but not starting any games in Houston if it keeps Jake or Chas on the bench.

.447 OPS with 33.3% K rate since May 1st.

4 Likes

That is the correct answer.

1 Like

I knew he had slumped, but daaaaaamn.