Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2023

Translated: No he probably won’t be ready by OD…

1 Like

But these guys are good to go…

Maldonado, who is firmly as entrenched as one of the Astros’ leaders after winning his first World Series title, not only played through a hernia injury, but also a broken bone in his right hand sustained when he was hit by a pitch on Aug. 28. …he batted .254 in July and was finding his groove before the injuries caused him to tail off at the plate. He wound up hitting .186 with a career-high 15 homers – one-third of which were hit in July. “I feel like by the time I got hot in July, that’s when I got hurt,” [Maldonado] said. “I played pretty much the whole second half of the season through pain. I couldn’t run, I could barely throw, barely move. It’s good to be healthy, back to normal.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/astros-phil-maton-recovered-hand-punch-locker-17788146.php

3 Likes

I’m not gonna lie Walt…My heart skipped a beat when I first saw the new thread. Relieved to see all good news so far, knock on wood!

2 Likes

Maldonado dropping 17 pounds seems like it could be really impactful for him. He has to feel better and more athletic.

1 Like

Brown certainly has a way with words. He seems like an enjoyable person.

LMJ already with arm soreness:

LMJ and his health worries me tremendously.

2 Likes

At least it isn’t a surprise

I’ve already resigned myself to his falling off the radar by July.

1 Like

Or not pitching until July

Of what year?

His knees will thank him and he will just be a better player when he’s pain free. His value is obviously behind the plate and in game prep., but I like the idea of a Maldo that hits .250.

Not very encouraging

Maldonado hit .266 his rookie year, but hasn’t come even close to hitting .250 at any other point in his career. He’s a career .209 hitter, and best part of it is well behind him. If he could get close to .200 it would represent a significant improvement.

This news is what I expected at some point last year. I hope not, but I am afraid Lance is close to done.

3 Likes

So we put Brown and Abreu in the rotation for JV and LMJ. Is Whitley still a factor? Even remotely?

Spring training will tell us.

1 Like

Why you can never have enough pitching.

1 Like

Correct, which is one reason I hoped we would pursue Eovaldi. We may have surplus arms to trade after ST, and I hope Brown thinks adding another proven starter is a good idea.

2 Likes

Hell, I’d of been fine with a 2nd go around with Wade Miley.

I think the good news is that this team can probably survive with an average to below average SP in the rotation.