Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2022

The question is, was it mechanical or something else. I can certainly see someone dialing it back a bit on the last MiLB rehab start after being out of the bigs for almost a year.

I didn’t really find any place else to put this, but I recall a GZ discussion the other day where Jim posited that even being out with covid, Dusty was still putting together the lineups. Here’s confirmation for those that are intersted:

1 Like

Of course Chas isn’t in the lineup against the lefty Perez! Because Dusty.

Neither is Mancini, and he has three homers since joining the team a week ago.

Fucking Dusty. Why trade for Mancini then sit him?

Mancini is gassed from rounding the bases, so rest is mandatory.

Question, do Astro position players get performance incentives in their contract when they sit? How does that work? We were well-rested against Atlanta and we’re utterly mystified by thrown balls. Are there data proving rest works in October, or after in-season absences in the returning game when players are fresh?

Agree. While I love Mancini and his acquisition, trading for him creates a problem if you are not going to displace Gurriel at first base, and the Astros are not going to do that. So if Brantley stays out, and you want to play Alvarez at DH, the decision comes down to Mancini or Diaz in left. Diaz has been hot lately so I guess Dusty is sticking with him.

It’s too far down the line to think about, but this problem gets worse when Brantley comes back.

The way to get the best offensive lineup on the field, pre or post a Brantley return, is to move Tucker to center and let Mancini play right. That weakens the defense but it sure puts more thump in the order. Click hinted at this as a possibility Sunday but I think it’s well down the list of what they prefer.

Anyway you look at it, the “center field issue” is having a ripple effect.

There is no reason not to play Yordan in LF regularly.

2 Likes

On the face of it, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The only thing that gives me some pause is Alvarez‘s size and knee history. I guess if you are 100% sure after the surgeries that his knee issues are a thing of the past, then you should play him out there every day. But just me personally it makes me nervous when he is such a huge part of our success. But when/if Brantley returns, you’re still gonna have a roster crunch getting Álvarez Brantley and Mancini in the order at the same time unless you move Tucker to center, and I’m just not sure that’s ideal. I’m not saying I wouldn’t do it though. I’d already be thinking about it if I were in charge.

Alvarez is not a China doll. His size? Oh, please. He has demonstrated he is a good OFer.

I’m not debating with you about whether or not he is a good outfielder. He is a fantastic outfielder. My comment about his size is relating to the stress on his knees given his knee surgeries and knee history. In my mind, given his importance to the team offensively, having him in the field five days a week might not be ideal.

Alvarez is considered a China doll by the decision makers. Everyone has a history, or will get one. He’s a weapon; that’s on us if we fear playing him.

The books are replete with career-ending injuries until they weren’t. Modern orthopedics has advanced a long way since Dusty’s days

Interesting that Alvarez started in LF 26 times in May/June – but only 5 times in July/Aug so far.

2 Likes

Wow. Must see TV.

I don’t think it’s just coincidence that he’s hitting poorly during that time, too.

I don’t know why, but the big man hasn’t homered since July 29.

He’s only got four hits in August, and only one for extras (a double). He’s 4-27 with 4 walks, a sac fly, and 3 RBI. And an OPS of .435 or so. It’s not pretty.

Yes – He has always seemed to hit better when he is also playing in the field.

1 Like

This won’t account for all of it, but he was on the 10 day IL for his hand injury from 7/10-20, or thereabouts.

1 Like