Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2022

That’s my thought as well that the hand might be affecting him…

Mark Berman quoted Espada today as saying that Brantley is going for a second opinion on his shoulder. I’m assuming that means the first opinion was that he needs surgery and he’s done for the year.

Blake Taylor pitched a scoreless inning for FCL Blue today with 2 Ks. Another pressure point for the 25-man in a few days?

1 Like

Brantley evidently out for the season after shoulder surgery today.

Surgery on Brantley. Out for the year, of course.

Least surprising news ever

Right after Correa plans to opt out.

If this is the end of his run here, what a fantastic Astro he’s been.

12 Likes

I agree he’s been great but also think it needs to be the end of his time.

I don’t know if he keeps playing for a team that can use a high contact, low to moderate power guy who is fragile and limited to DH/LF or becomes a hitting coach.

If this team still had .800 OPS guys at SS and CF it would be this team.

You really can’t help the armchair GM stuff, can you?

(I kid, I kid)

Thanks for the memories, Uncle Mike.

2 Likes

Never forget

3 Likes

You should not say you are kidding. I have the same reaction but am taking deep breaths. Brantley is one of the best hitters ever to wear an Astros uniform, and he should not be dismissed so casually and so cavalierly by someone who plays GM at home and on the internet.

Thanks to Michael Brantley for signing and for re-signing with the Astros and for playing championship baseball with class.

7 Likes

Just calling him Uncle Mike made me happy.

1 Like

Why do you think every ex player can or wants to become a coach?

2 Likes

If this is the end of the line, I’ll always be grateful for Michael Brantley’s time as an Astro. His approach to hitting and bat control was a joy to watch and something for young players to emulate. Because of it, I knew he was going to have a good at bat far more often than not, no matter who was pitching. He’s one of my favorite hitters in the sport.

3 Likes

Sometimes when I watched him swing the bat I wondered how he didn’t hit .900.

4 Likes

Surgery is not the end of the line. He’s had multiple such procedures and continued to produce at an enviable pace. He’s had the surgery. He’ll go thru rehab. He’ll either respond well to that or he won’t. My fandom makes me want to see how that goes and then consider if he’d be a logical part of the team dynamic going forward. Anything less than that ignores the incredible, consequential contribution to the team he’s made in the last 4+ years.

3 Likes

Given his injury history, I’m grateful we had him as long as we did. I thank him for not following Correa to Toronto

1 Like

Springer

Forget it, he’s rolling

2 Likes