Aches Pains & Muscle Strains 2022

Castro has been mulling over retirement since before the season started.

Jason Castro considering retirement after 2022 season.

Knee scope in the offing?

And hopefully it goes better than the last time he tried to swing a bat…

He could call it a career.

LMJ threw 24 pitches in the first inning of his rehab start (17 for strikes) tonight. He struck out 3 but also gave up a pair of LD hits and plunked a batter.

Gave up another LD hit in the second. Final line: 2 IP, 3H (2 singles, 1 double), 1 HBP, 3 K. 40 pitches, 28 for strikes.

Up to 96 says one report.

Lance was happy…

1 Like

And he is out of the lineup today…

This from the Chron article just posted…

Hidden

Though no one with the team has specified what exactly ails Alvarez, Baker said on Sunday the 25-year-old slugger dealt with similar hand problems during his minor league career. Imaging prior to the All-Star break revealed no structural damage in Alvarez’s hand.

Click on the pregame radio show today said LMJ will make his second rehab start either on Wed or Thurs for the Space Cowboys in OKC.

Stanton makes his inevitable trip to the IL, this time for Achilles tendonitis. It’s a bit of a miracle he’s made it this far.

3 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 HBP, 1 BB, 4 K, 52 pitches (30 for strikes).

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1552491816640970752

I just want him to finish it healthy.

1 Like

Assuming no setbacks and if one were being optimistic, that might suggest him being activated around Aug. 12…

At this point, Josh Bell is as much Brantley insurance as he is an upgrade over Yuli offensively. For now, Yuli stays at 1B, Bell DH’s and Yordan would play LF most nights. It’s not good that Brantley has made little progress in the month on the IL.

2 Likes

If I was guessing, I’d bet he suffering from a separated shoulder and it’s not healing quickly.

1 Like

Hope he didn’t tear the labrum.

I would suspect if he’d torn it, he wouldn’t be out screwing around throwing a ball around. This sounds to me like he subluxed it a while back, and it’s taking longer to feel good enough to go again than they’d hoped.

On a slightly related note, I very lightly popped my shoulder a few weeks ago (which has been loose and easy to dislocate for my entire adult life) and played softball last night, and hitting felt like absolute shit. You know, just for a point of reference.

Man this history ain’t comforting…

So if I read all that correctly in the space of about 11 months on that same right shoulder he’s having problems with now he had…

1. A cortisone shot
  2. Surgery to repair a labrum tear
  3. Another cortisone shot
  4. Surgery (outpatient procedure) to relieve scar tissue buildup
  5. Surgery that involved cutting the biceps tendon and attaching it elsewhere
1 Like

That’s telling. Good sleuth work, @Walt_Bond. I am hopeful he bounces back this year. And, if not, I hope he gets another repair in the off-season, if that’s possible. If that is not possible due to the natural decline of being a 35 years old, I will have nothing but fond memories of him as an Astro. What an incredible pickup and subsequent resigning.

3 Likes

look out for yourself.