2024 Roster

You want Singleton over Bregman at this point?

Blair Henley cleared waivers and was assigned to Sugar Land

Dana Brown’s stamp on the roster:

ST 2023: suggested making Ronel Blanco a SP

June 2023: signed Jon Singleton as minor league FA

July 2023: Drafted Jake Bloss
July 2023: Traded for Kendall Graveman

August 2023: traded for Justin Verlander

September 2023: claimed Bennett Sousa off waivers

October 3023: signed Luis Contreras as minor league FA

December 2023: signed FA Victor Caratini
December 2023: signed FA Taylor Scott

January 2024: signed FA Josh Hader
January 2024: traded for Trey Cabbage

March 2024: claimed Penn Murfee off waivers

April 2024: claimed Cooper Hummel off waivers
April 2024: traded for minor league SS Jacob Amaya

May 2024: signed FA Eric Lauer to minor league cont

June 2024: traded for Nick Hernandez
June 2014: signed FA Omar Narvaez to minor league contract.

Busy first year and a half.

1 Like

I’m actually excited about Penn Murfee joining the bullpen after his rehab.

Last year his sweeper was elite* and his numbers so far in his career have been very good.

Could end up being another good arm that Brown has brought in with zero cost.

*threw 140 (62.8%) times w/ .037 avg AND SLG against.
Baseball savant had it 4th best sweeper out of 158 pitchers in run value per pitch.

3 Likes

Nevermind – See the correction below in this thread.

Meanwhile, we gave up Valente Bellozo for him. Signed out of Mexico in 2018, Bellozo had success at Trinity-City and Quad City in 2019, then missed 2020 due to COVID and 2021 due to injury. He then spent 2022 in the DSL before spending most of 2023 in Asheville. He did get four appearances at the end of the year in Corpus Christi (three starts), and he had good success (WHIP <1.0; ERA <2.0), though with 6 BB and only 12 K in 15.1 IP.

After failing to break camp with a full season team this year, he was traded top Miami for Speas in May. He split time between AA and AAA, still as a starter, before getting the call to The Show on June 26. In two starts so far, he has gone 10 IP with 10 K, 1 BB, 1 HB, a WHIP of 1.0, and a WAR of 0.1.

Speas was claimed off waivers from Oakland in May. Bellozo was traded to Miami for Jacob Amaya, who’s still with the organization in Sugar Land.

Oops. You are correct – I got my notes cross-wired.

Dubin starts tonight so I assume it’s another bullpen game

Yep, they said so on the tv broadcast yesterday

If he’s as good as he was last time out, I’m perfectly fine with that.

1 Like

He, and the rest of the staff, will need to be. The Twins are about as hot as we are right now.

Mmmm… hot twins…

5 Likes

Apparently Heyman has the absolute revelation that the Astros are looking for a first baseman and starting pitcher.

I am shocked, I tells ya.

2 Likes

Heyman is one sharp cookie. Nobody else could have gotten to the bottom of that one

2 Likes

Jim Bowden with a little more detail on the obvious “1b and SP” trade deadline approach:

Astros GM Dana Brown has made it clear to other front offices that he’s focused on adding a veteran starter and an impactful long- or short-term solution at first base. He’s talked to the Mets about Luis Severino and Pete Alonso, and has discussed Christian Walker with the Diamondbacks, Cody Bellinger with the Cubs and Andrew Vaughn with the White Sox. In terms of starters, the Astros have shown interest in Garrett Crochet, Erick Fedde, Jack Flaherty, Chris Bassitt, Yusei Kikuchi, Kevin Gausman, Cal Quantrill and Austin Gomber, among others.

Maybe they’ve been dragged down by their teams, but Kikuchi, Quantrill, and Gomber have been somewhere between terrible and might-as-well-be-dead this year. No thanks.

1 Like

Maybe, but if the Astros see enough in a pitcher to acquire him then I’m more than willing to get behind said move given their track record. In fact, that kind of move might be perfect because the cost won’t be as high.

1 Like

I think the Blue Jays have some arms I hope they target.

Chandler Rome says ex-Astro Aledmys Diaz is returning to the organization on a minor league deal. He’d been released by the Athletics earlier this month.

2 Likes