2024 Dead Pool

My short lived Austin band, Booger 9000, played there a couple of times. Of all the clubs we played in Austin, The Hole in the Wall was the best. They actually treated us real nice, free beer for the band and all of the door. The clubs on 6th street were never as accommodating, actually other than Flamingo Cantina, they treated us rather shitterly. But we loved The Hole in the Wall.

1 Like

If you got there early enough in the morning before his ‘Mojo’s Mayhem’ at the Continental Club during SXSW, you just might be greeted with this spectacle from across the street.

3 Likes

This is the least surprising thing I’ve seen today. Mojo was class.

1 Like

Haven’t been there in years, but I saw a whole bunch of great shows back in the day.

Fun stories on their website:

https://www.holeinthewallaustin.com/our-story

KUTX here in Austin was talking about this morning as they had a short tribute to Mojo.
Never listened to his stuff, but what a character.

2 Likes

I saw Mojo and Skid open for the Pogues.

4 Likes

Mike Martin, famed Florida State baseball coach. R.I.P., Coach.

2,000+ wins. 17 College World Series appearances.

1 Like

Bob Edwards, longtime host of NPR‘s morning edition. 76 years old.

3 Likes

Nothing brings home the fact that life expectancy is lowering than a bunch of famous people dying in their 60s and early/mid-seventies.

Bill Post, 96

Who is Bill Post, you ask? He invented Pop Tarts.

2 Likes

Strawberry (plain) Pop Tarts are an essential piece of American life. I buy toasters only for them.

1 Like

Goodness, with that cast, maybe Seinfeld will make a watchable movie for once.

1 Like

Right?

Alexei Navalny, 47.

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/16/alexei-navanly-dies-russian-prison

1 Like

Were windows involved?

Brave man. Sad but inevitable.

2 Likes

Red Notice by Bill Browder (it’s not the dumb action movie of the same name) is a good look at Putin’s Russia.

Shameful, shameless.

2 Likes

Terrible to hear. This last bullet from the linked story isn’t foreboding or anything.

President Biden said following a 2021 summit with Putin that he’d told the Russian leader there would be “devastating” consequences if Navalny died in prison.