2024 Dead Pool

John FLIES the plane. No matter where it’s headed, he should get on the intercom and announce “we’re headed to Austin to drink beer and talk baseball.”

3 Likes

Excellent point, but I thought he wanted to make Captain.

If you ever get a chance to go up in the press box area of Dell Diamond they have (or at least they had, 20 years ago) little placards detailing old/defunct Texas minor league teams. I remember seeing one for the Temple Eagles, which my dad told me about when I was a kid.

1 Like

Very cool!

That’s my kind of diversion, HH! :joy:

Former Oiler DT Doug Smith died 7/26.

He also played at Auburn and helped set the tone for the 1983 Auburn team that lost to Texas in week 2 but then didn’t lose again the rest of the season. I enjoyed following him throught the pros. Did good work in the trenches.

The1983 Auburn team taught me that football needed a play off. Auburn won the last five games of the year against ranked teams:
#5 Florida
#7 Maryland
#4 Georgia
#19 Alabama
#8 Michigan (Sugar Bowl)

They entered the bowl game ranked #3 and finished there after #5 Miami beat #1 Nebraska in the Orange Bowl and Miami was named #1 in both polls with Nebraska #2. (Miami had lost to Florida in the first game of the season. )

3 Likes

Texas was #2 going into the Cotton Bowl, which is the first UT game I can remember. Still too soon to talk about that game.

1 Like

Muffed punt lost the game for them, as I recall. First one I can remember too.

1 Like

Died in a car accident

Craig Curry, to be exact. Don’t think my father ever got over that. Didn’t help that their All American kicker missed three field goal attempts.

Wow…talk about squandering amazing talent. He’s in the Hall of Couldabeen

Hmmm…I was just reminiscing about the '63 Cotton Bowl. I was almost too young to remember it.
And it didn’t end up so good for the 'Horns.

Again, mein bruder, too soon to talk about this.

I can still see Dad coming unglued over this game.

My wife’s uncle Paul Burleson passed a few years ago but on the subject, some of you may remember the 1963 Sun Bowl.

Before my time but during his celebration of life I learned he was a WR for Oregon and caught the deciding TD pass in that game vs SMU.

1 Like

Billy Bean, 60

6 Likes

This is hard. This hurts.

Godspeed, Billy.

He was a good dude, would have made a fine Commissioner. Baseball will miss him.

3 Likes

He was only 60? what a loss.

1 Like

I had no idea he was sick. Damn. I didn’t know/remember much about him before I heard him on a podcast last year (might have been McHugh’s?). Very impressive guy, and a tragic loss.

1 Like

Chi Chi Rodriguez

2 Likes