2024 Dead Pool

Denny Lemaster (age 85) - last week.

2 Likes

William Calley.

That was an early battle in the modern culture wars.

He was pretty good, I hated to see him go to the Braves.

He started with the Braves. I think he played in Austin on his way up.

Yes, he did play in Austin, He did play for the Braves before Houston, I had him confused with somebody else. Not Dave Giusti. 1968 Astros had a pretty good starting rotation, Lemaster, Giusti, Dierker, Wilson, and Cuellar. still finished the season 72-90.

Cloninger played here too, as I recall.

Nope. Cloninger’s MLB tour did not include. Houston.

He was referring to him playing minor league baseball in Austin not MLB in Houston

1 Like

Correct, Marty

And, of course, your memory is fact checked “true”:

Year Age Tm Lg Lev W L W-L% ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WHIP
1960 19 Austin TL AA 5 3 0.625 3.46 13 13 4 1 78 62 45 30 4 64 58 1 1.615
1 Like

Wade Blasingame and Rico Carty went through Austin too. Carty was a catcher and had a great year hitting.

They were the Senators, correct? Do you know where the stadium was located? Did you ever see them play?

So the Area where the AAS is now. If the Statesman building is still being used.

1 Like

Disch Field was on Barton Springs Road (center field fence was) but is no longer there. I pitched there at least twice while I was in HS.

Austin Pioneers, Austin Senators, Austin Braves are the team names I remember. I saw lots of games there beginning sometime in the early '50s.

1 Like

Coach/Jim, we’ve had some chats about our Austin familial roots, but I’ve never known much about Austin minor league baseball.
Thank you so very much for sharing/posting. There are stilll so many questions I wish I could ask my old man about Austin back in the day…

Looking forward to the the next drink-up/catch-up, bud :metal:t2::beers:

Sphinx/Marty, went on a deep dive/bit of a rabbit hole.
You started it :wink:

1 Like

Let’s do it! Maybe I can answer some of your questions.

Give me a heads up and I will come into town.

2 Likes

Ok. It will depend on John’s flight schedule and availability