2024 Dead Pool

My artist good friend, Robert Hurst, was Stage 4 before diagnosis of pancreatic. He died 4-5 months later but felt really good until the final month or so.

Some future hope regarding pancreatic cancer

May this research finding help folks down the line

6 Likes

Amen

Chuck Daly, the Pistons coach, is on that list.

He was a mentor to Rick Carlisle, now the coach of the Pacers. Carlisle is the president of the NBA Coaches Association and to honor Daly he made the pancreatic cancer foundation the group’s charitable focus.

Pancreatic cancer sucks. The time between my grandmother being diagnosed and her passing was measured in weeks, not months. And that was just 10 years ago. It’s fascinating to see how far they are coming. One of my dear friends and colleagues was diagnosed just under two years ago and immediately had the Whipple procedure and DNA assisted chemo. It’s amazing to see how quickly procedures like that, move from research into reality, giving people months and years that they otherwise would not have had.

4 Likes

John Mayall 90

…and the bluesbreakers?

Gene Peterson. The forever the voice of the Rockets

8 Likes

Loved Mean Gene.

He had a great cadence.

“Down to Hakeem, dream shake to the baseline … TWO MORE!!”

RIP Gene.

3 Likes

Wow…one of the “voices of my youth”

2 Likes

backin it in…backin it in…backin it in

4 Likes

I lost my best friend/pal/buddy to metastatic throat cancer yesterday. Chris Riley was an amazing man. He accomplished so much in his 60 years. A Harvard grad for his BA, followed by law school at UT, after 20 years practicing law, he served in several capacities for the city of Austin, which he loved dearly. I might write more about him later but here is a nice article in the Statesman that sheds a bit of light on him.

12 Likes

Very sorry for your loss.

1 Like

SO very sorry for your loss. He must have been a great guy.

1 Like

Horrible news, Sphinx. So sorry.

1 Like

That he was and a hell of a lot of fun when you could get him to “let his hair down,” which I was quite adept at doing. We bonded over white water rafting and kayaking, bicycling, beer, Irish Whiskey, UT sports, music, and a few other things I shouldn’t mention. He was a Cowboy fan so like many great, people he had is flaws. We all do. He always trusted me to be the one to slap him back to reality when needed and that I always had his back. When he was first on the city council the ACL people asked, “how many passes do you need,” he said two, one for him and one for Denise. I told him next time ask for more-at least three. So from then until he was no longer on the council and privy to such things, he always asked for three, one for me. He always had my back too.

I was truly touched when he asked me to be his best man when he married his long time (24 years) partner, Denise Brady back in September of '23.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss, Marty.

Another invaluable thing Chis gave me was showing me how to live and die from cancer with grace and dignity.

5 Likes

Superb AAS write-up.
I’m so mighty to hear about the loss of your bud.
I’ve lost several close ones as well way before their time.
We carry their spirit and we savor the time we had with them.

Hang in there, Sphinx.

3 Likes