2024 Dead Pool

Ditto

My wife, a clinical psychotherapist in Vermont, and all of her colleagues quote him from the Newhart Show playing a clinical psychotherapist from Vermont constantly.

4 Likes

I was a psychology major because of Bob Newhart. It didnā€™t last more than a couple of semesters, but that was a great show.

ETA: Actually I think that had more to do with my crush on Suzanne Pleshette.

7 Likes

Group therapy was the funniest.

1 Like

Bob Newhart guested on Conan Oā€™Brienā€™s podcast a few years ago and it was one of the funniest episodes Iā€™d heard. RIP.

Hi skit about the security guard at the Empire State Building calling his boss and trying to figure out what to do about King Kong is God level genius.

1 Like

When I was a kid my dad had bought the album, The Button-Down Mind of Bob Newhart .I probably listened to that 1000 times.

1 Like

This was a fun bit they did together when Conan hosted the Emmys:

https://x.com/jonathanmb32/status/1814032013403275449

1 Like

And then I bought it again on CD a few years ago.

Abner Hayes (86). I can still remember his first-year playing card.

(Should this be under ā€œother sportsā€?)

Abner was an original Dallas Texan I believe.

Yep

Haynes (?)

1 Like

Sheila Jackson Lee, aged 74.

She will be missed.

2 Likes

Yes. Haynes. I either typed it wrong or missed the auto-corrupt revision.

Fuck cancer. A great lady and champion of the common man. She wasnā€™t diagnosed until June. Pancreatic.

3 Likes

Fuck Cancer, indeed. I had no idea she was even that sick. Pancreatic cancer is evil, she was ā€œthere and then goneā€.

I remember when it happened so quickā€¦I asked my Dad (her only son) if I should fly back for the funeralā€¦"itā€™ll cost about $8K round trip, and Iā€™ll be able to stay for about 48 hoursā€¦ā€œYou know what your Grandmother (grew up poor as hell in CenTex way back) would say about this, right? So you do what you need to do, Son, Iā€™ll pay for it.ā€ I stayed in Argentina. Couple of days later we had friends/students over I fried some chicken, mashed potatoes, and pan gravy, and greens.

Iā€™m kinda crying half the time in the kitchen, wine helped, but those kids didnā€™t know what hit 'em. ā€œHow do we make this again for our parentsā€?

4 Likes
5 Likes

Pancreatic cancer is a hell of a thing. It can either take you astonishingly (almost mercifully) quickly or it can put you through absolute hell trying to beat it if you have even the slightest chance. My aunt had some weird cyst on her leg and her doctor ordered some scans on a hunch. Turned up as stage 1A pancreatic cancer, which is the absolute earliest it can be diagnosed. Took over a year of surgeries, chemo, radiation, ER visits from nasty falls due to dehydration, and other terrible side effects but she eventually went into remission. Five-year survivability is less than 10% overall I think, and only about 25% with the treatments she got, but she was happy to beat the odds once and got another healthy 18 months before it came back with a vengeance.

4 Likes

My father-in-law died from Pancreatic. It was horrible. Within months he went from a fairly vibrant 70-something to looking emaciated and in severe discomfort. He was a pathologist at Scott&White and unfortunately understood what was ahead of him with the diagnosis.

2 Likes