2024 college baseball

My few encounters with Garrido were all very positive. People who knew him well said he was a great guy. I have no idea what other coaches thought about him.

1 Like

Go Evansville! Go UConn!

eta: 1 win, 1 loss, and the PBP guy in the FSU-UConn game cried yard more than anyone I’ve ever heard. He went nuts on at least 15 fly balls to the OF

I just saw the worst throw I’ve seen in quite a while.

UVa with a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the 7th, UNC batting with the tying run on 2nd with 2 outs. Batter knocks a single into shallow LF, left fielder charges, picks it up, winds up (he’s a lefty), and… throws the ball into the ground about 30 feet in front of him, about 30 degrees offline, headed way to the dugout side of 3rd. The sad thing is that I think a competent throw would have gotten the runner (although maybe not, since he was off with the swing).

It was ugly, really ugly. The guy was a few steps from third when he fielded it.

Even uglier is pitching to Honeycutt with two bases open and two outs.

Looked to me like he tried to hold up the throw and just spiked it

It did, but why hold up the throw? The guy was just rounding third when he was releasing it, from short left field.

Saw both of the games today in Omaha with dad and bro-in-law. Two extraordinary games with walkoff finishes. The Florida State / Tennessee match was excruciating and gladiatorial. Christian Moore for the Vols cycled in four at bats by the 6th inning and ended the game with 12 total bases. The most impressive offensive game I’ve ever witnessed in person.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great time. Saw him hit an oppo jaw-dropper in the Super Regional. Incredible power. I think they said his homer tonight was 117 mph!!!

I love “gladiatorial.” The crowd did thumbs down in bottom 9?

1 Like

Learned today and was a bit surprised that Kentucky was the only SEC school that had never made a CWS.

…and Kentucky ties it at 4 with a leadoff HR in the bottom of the 9th

…and Kentucky walks it off 5-4 with a HR in the bottom of the 10th

Aggie game finally started and they are wearing the Texas Rangers (not really) uniforms. Not a trace of maroon. It’s weird.

Florida down 3-2 top 9

2R HR saved right over the fence by the giant Aggie RF

Walk…1st/2nd 2 outs
K ends it. Aggies win.

eta: it’s pretty amazing how much better than MLB the HPUs are in the Super Regionals and CWS

FSU kid chooses to trot in from 3rd while Tennessee turns a 3U-6 double play, with the tag at 2nd for the final out of the inning happening just before the lollygagger crosses the plate. No run.

1 Like

Has anybody heard word one about UT and Pierce in the last couple of weeks? The silence seems pretty conspicuous.

1 Like

I’d forgotten about it, frankly

Tennessee is still playing. That is the only rumor I have heard.

2 Likes

Yes, the silence seems to add more credence to the Tennessee speculation.

1 Like

All the speculation I’ve read was the Aggie coach. However, nothing make sense to me as I don’t understand either remaining CWS coach exiting their job, and yet, nothing has happened with coaches whose seasons are finished.