2024 college baseball

Aubrey Huff played his JUCO ball at Vernon College, Vernon, Texas, where I grew up. Staying in Vernon, Texas for any length of time could damage anybody. You gotta give the guy a break.

Oh I’m pretty sure he was always an asshole, but for those 2 months he was our asshole

Not baseball but baseball-adjacent: #1 Texas softball won today to advance to the Women’s College World Series final. They’ll play either #2 OU or #4 Florida who play a win-or-go-home game tomorrow.

Isn’t Skip Johnson (OU baseball coach) the former UT pitching coach?

Yes

1 Like

Pierce was on Austin news this evening wondering if he’s going to get fired or not

The regular season performance the past few years has been underwhelming, and is rosy compared to what’s awaiting them in the SEC

2 Likes

Recruiting has to be really difficult. You have to go after good guys, but they can’t be too good or they’ll get drafted and you’ll be left holding the bag. It’s got go be a very difficult needle to thread.

1 Like

How much NIL money does UT baseball have to throw around? I’m assuming not much. How rich is @JimR?

I do not know re NIL in baseball, but I do know baseball is represented on the Texas One Fund board.

A friend/former MAC assistant coach/former Longhorn infielder was quoted as saying Pierce is gone, and the Tennessee staff may be the replacement.

Me, Lefty? Not rich enough to contribute to Texas One. I give to Zach.

1 Like

That would certainly add some extra spiciness to the new conference dynamic.

His direct quote(but not to me) was the Tennessee coach is interested in the Texas job.

Isn’t the Tennessee guy one of Schlossnagle’s former assistants? Can’t argue with what he’s done at Tennessee the last few years.

Dunno

In all Texas’ job searches, I’m wary of those who are “interested.” Might be my paranoid mind, but sounds like a way for him to get a raise.

2 Likes

Of all the things I do not worry about, that one is high on the list.

WCWS - is Florida really going to pulll this off?

… he says as the Sooners cut it to 5-4

UTK’s coach Tony Vitello has done a great job at UTK and has hacked off most of the SEC with his swagger/arrogance. He is one of those that you love if he is your coach.

His back ground is being an assisant at Missouri (03-10), TCU (11-13), Arkansas (14-17) and then Head coach at UTK.

UTK will make a case for him to stay.

1 Like

Jim R. undoubtedly knows better, but from what I’ve heard a similar sentiment could’ve been said about Angie Garrido.

I think Vitello would be a great hire by Texas. He’s recruited at a high level throughout his career, and consistently won at a program where that hasn’t been the case historically.

If the Longhorns want Vitello, they’re going to make it awfully hard for him to say no. There are few, if any, programs that can match their resources and tradition.

1 Like