2023 Roster

This still does not seem to show up in the transactions page.

Maybe. I saw that Yuli will not be representing Cuba in WBC. Not sure if true…also not sure if that’s a big deal. That said I wonder if there is still a question about the knee he injured in the WS being 100?

I’d love to see them bring Smith back. I thought he pitched pretty well after the trade.

I’d be ok with this, but he’d probably have to to take a hair cut from what he was making. Perhaps an incentive laden contract? I thought, after his first handful of appearances, that he pitched better as well.

There was a time where I thought a southpaw in the bullpen was absolutely necessary. The last two years have convinced me otherwise though.

1 Like

No lefty in '19 either.

His not playing for Cuba has nothing to do with injury or ability.

1 Like

Speaking of lefty utility bats…

No Pedro Leon on the Astros spring training roster (which includes non-roster invitees) as he had sports hernia surgery recently and is out for 2 months.

1 Like

Nice timing for the surgery.

The only other name I want to see on this roster is Yuli Gurriel.

6 Likes

Mariners signed La Stella today for league minimum.

For what it’s worth, Gurriel apparently is no longer following the Astros on social media but is now following Miami.

I was really hoping Yuli would re-sign, but if they can’t come to a deal and he wants to play in Miami, more power to him. He was a terrific Astro and a key part of the greatest run in franchise history. We’ll always love him, as long as he doesn’t go all Gerrit Cole douchebaggery.

10 Likes

The only way I can figure this out where it make sense to me is he would not accept a lesser utility role. I thought Crane wanted him back, but maybe not.

That may very well be the case. I can’t imagine the Astros simply didn’t want him.

Walking with 2 rings and a chance to play to a very large Cuban community.

3 Likes

I don’t want to go so far as to say the Astros didn’t want him, but I think much like Springer and Correa, there was quite possibly a price point where they were not willing to bring him back. Abreu is the starter at first base. Hensley and Dubon are going to be the utility guys and they are effective and cheaper than Yuli. The sample size with Hensley is certainly very small, but I think they are confident and comfortable with what they see from him. Just my opinion, but I think that’s what all it boils down to.

1 Like

Well of course. They weren’t going to pay him an infinite amount of money. That’s what’s meant by “can’t reach a deal”.

If not Houston, Miami’s an awesome place to finish out his career.

He’ll always be an Astro, though.

4 Likes

Yuli will always have a special place in my heart. He hit one of the two homers that made me truly believe the Astros were going to win the World Series.

GURRIEL! HAS! TIED IT!

10 Likes