2023 Dead Pool

Yep, James Street also.

1 Like

I’ve posted this before so forgive me if you’ve hear it but in the late '70s I was the Ad Director of The Daily Texan and attended some bullshit university function not of my own choosing and I was milling around the crowd not knowing anyone and saw Street looking as lost as I was. I don’t think anyone else in the room knew who he was even though we were wearing name badges. He had some sort of position with the university. I introduced myself and we had a great talk for an hour or so.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that about Gene. If I had thought about it, I figured he would have been buried in a Paris area cemetery next to Ruth Ann and Johnny.

ETA: I just looked it up and John Mark “Johnny” Stallings is buried in the Texas State Cemetery. Section:Monument Hill, Section 2 (H2) Row:AB Number:2

2 Likes

Walt Garrison

Put a pinch between your cheek and gum today for the man.

2 Likes

By all accounts from media and his teammates, he was as authentic a guy as you’d ever encounter.

I think I remember he played a half with a broken ankle?

Both of these quotes are from ‘Toughest Players in the History of the Game’ lists:

For eight years, Walt Garrison was a fullback for the Dallas Cowboys. Turns out, he’s got some grit in his genes. During one game, in which he scored a touchdown and gained 121 yards, it was later revealed that the hearty Cowboy was playing with a broken collarbone and fractured ankle, and only when he had to be carted off the field did this become apparent.

In a playoff game in 1970, Garrison broke three ribs in the first quarter and continued playing after he was carried off the field. He rushed for over 100 yards, caught several passes, and helped the Cowboys continue their path to the Super Bowl. Garrison has also played through a separated shoulder, a severely broken nose and a broken collarbone. Teammate Charlie Waters recalls the time that Garrison accidentally cut his thumb with a knife so that it was dangling from his hand. Garrison wrapped his thumb in tape and played the next day, rushing for over 100 yards.

1 Like

Meredith’s quote was grand along the lines of, “if you need four yards, Garrison will get you five. If you need twenty yards, Garrison will get you five.”

3 Likes

Rudolph Isley, 84

Kind of like Bum’s response to the point that Earl Campbell couldn’t run a mile: “well, when it’s third and a mile, we won’t give it to him”.

6 Likes

Many years ago, I decided to go to my local independent bookstore and read a volume of new poetry a month, A-Z. I don’t remember much about it.

Except when I got to G, I read Louise Glück. It was stunning stuff. I guess in fact it was Nobel prize stuff. RIP Louise Glück. If you never read her, do. It doesn’t get better.

5 Likes

Suzanne Somers, 76.

1 Like

Mark Goddard, 87.

Piper Laurie 91

Squeezing the great thighmaster in the sky

She was cool, never seemed to take herself too seriously

3 Likes

Burt Young, 83.

Even as a kid I never would have guessed that Paulie would have made it to 2023.

He looked like the epitome of heart disease in those movies.

His obits show he was quite a well rounded talent.

3 Likes

I hope he has a robot butler in heaven.

2 Likes

Young was about the same age as Taylor Swift is now when he starred in Rocky.