2023 Dead Pool

Dick Butkus, 80.

What an icon.

Sorry to hear about Butkus. Frankly, I thought he was way older than 80.

1 Like

From The Hollywood Reporter:

In an Oct. 12, 1964, cover story for Sports Illustrated, Dan Jenkins kicked off his piece about him: “If every college football team had a linebacker like Dick Butkus of Illinois, all fullbacks soon would be three feet tall and sing soprano. Dick Butkus is a special kind of brute whose particular talent is mashing runners into curious shapes.”

7 Likes

He, along with Ray Nitschke, who he followed at Illinois, set the standard for what a great linebacker was. Also one of the greatest names in sports. Right up there with Rusty Kuntz. And Dan Jenkins was great as well.

1 Like

One of my early NFL idols. Along with Alan Ameche and (of course) Jimmy Brown. I also liked Dick “Night Train” Lane.

2 Likes

From Austin Anderson, iirc.

I only found that out decades later — probably from you on this site. I only knew that he was a standout on defense for my beloved Lions. (I have grown out of that latter infatuation)

1 Like

The original Anderson also had Thomas Henderson and Willie Wells as alumni. I remember there was a good article in the Statesman about the school’s history around the time Henderson won $28MM in the Texas lottery

1 Like

Johnny U and Ray Berry for me.

One summer we made the drive up Mt Evans (soon to be renamed Mt Blue Sky).

After we spent some time at the summit we rendezvoused back at the vehicle.

My dad said someone approached him and asked “Would you mind snapping a quick picture of me with this gentleman. It’s Mr Raymond Berry.”

This was back when Dan Reeves was Denver’s coach.
He had invited Berry to training camp.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure Berry and Reeves coached for Landry at the same time for a season or two.
Berry was old enough that my dad idolized him and like my family was from, or at least born in, Corpus Christi.

2 Likes

Trying to remember my Dad’s Mt Rushmore of guys I never got to see: Nitschke, Raymond Berry, Bob Lilly, Jim Brown…there’s someone else I’m forgetting, and OL iirc

1 Like

Forrest Gregg?

Bingo. That’s him.

Nice work.

It was a different era

IMG_1642

2 Likes

He went to high school in Paris Texas and was teammates with Gene Stallings. Who also coached on the Cowboys with Berry and Reeves.

1 Like

FWIW Stallings is one of a handful of not-yet-dead sports icons whose burial plot, including marker, are located at the Texas State Cemetery (E 7th in Austin). Lots of fascinating history in that place.

2 Likes

I walked around in there for most of a couple of days a few months ago, and I agree.

1 Like

Coach Royal is resting there.