2022 Sugar Land Space Cowboys (AAA)

Whitley and Brown tonight.

Whitley also plunked a batter. 37 pitches, 27 for strikes. Up to 95.6 on the heater reports say and averaged 94.3.

And Pedro Leon reverts to his old form to start August. 6 Ks in 11 ABs an inauspicious beginning to the month.

Looks like progress for Whitley. Brown is why I would not have been upset to see Garcia go in a trade.

With about 7 weeks left in the SL season, OF Justin Dirden gets the promotion from CC.

2 Likes

Whitley struggles tonight in El Paso: 2 IP, 5 H, 6 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1 Balk.

Velocity?

How he throws is much more important than results at this stage.

5 Likes

Colin McKee made his 2022 debut (not counting rehab appearances) last night with a scoreless frame as he works his way back from an offseason microdiscectomy. The 28 year old former 18th rounder (2016) was touching 98 last year but he’s south of 95 so far as he builds back up but has added a sinker to his pitch mix.

Besides regaining velo, McKee still needs to clean up his control issues. He’s a minor league free agent this offseason so he might not be back in 2023.

Also notable in that it was in a tough pitching environment in El Paso…

How long can they keep this guy down on the farm after he’s beaten EP?

1 Like

Four Sugar Land batters – Korey Lee, Alex De Goti, Scott Manea and David Hensley – had three plate appearances during the inning, which lasted just under an hour at 58 minutes. There were nine walks and 10 hits.

Insane.

Encouraging outing from Mr. Whitley tonight…

72 pitches/49 strikes

1 Like

That is encouraging. Hope he continues to progress.

1 Like

He has so much talent that I can’t help but hope.

But at this point he’s a lottery ticket to me.

I just hope he stays healthy so we can see if he can be solid for several appearances in a row.

reminder - he is the second youngest pitcher on the AAA pitching staff. He is still a year and a half below the average age AA pitchers. He is still a prospect.

4 Likes

Good reminder, Steve.

I’m familiar with Kenny Van Doren’s oeuvre but what’s going on with Hunter these days? The comments speculate he’ll be added to the Astros bullpen at some point, which is the first I’ve heard of such speculation.

Kenny’s next Tweet: