2022 Sugar Land Space Cowboys (AAA)

Sugar Land will play 150 games this season with the season starting April 5 and ending Sept. 28. Note that AAA clubs played only 142 games last season. To minimize travel, 114 games were played last year against just 4 clubs: OKC, El Paso, Round Rock and Albuquerque. The same type of unbalanced schedule also applies for this season with 111 games against those teams as follows : RR (30), Albuquerque (33), OKC (24), El Paso (24). With a few exceptions, 6-game series will again be the norm.

So today’s poll asks: will the Space Cowboys play more, less or the same number of games as the Astros this season?

9 whiffs in 18 ABs with zero walks so far for Pedro Leon over the first 4 games. Ugh.

He has had a pair of doubles and a HR among his 6 hits.

In the field, he’s already had 3 errors (2 of which were on throws).

Hunter Brown pitched five innnings in relief last night and struck out seven(!!).

And no walks. Huge improvement over his first outing (5 BB in 3.2 IP).

Hunter Brown with 10 Ks in 7 shutout innings last night has had a nice May.

2 Likes

Corey Julks has 10 HRs in his last 17 games

Both Julks and fellow outfielder Lewis Brinson put up really strong numbers in May. Good to see after both struggled badly in April. However some of their improvement is a bit of a mirage. The Space Cowboys played 11 or 12 games during the month in Albuquerque and El Paso. 5 of Julks’ 10 homers and 5 of Brinson’s 9 HRs during the month came in those launching pads.

1 Like

Yeah, take those numbers with a block of salt.

In other news, JJ Matijevic was activated from the IL today.

Never discounted the park factor, and he’s not a prospect (other than a trade throw-in), but now in his last 20 games Julks has hit 5 HR in those 10 road games, and 7HR in 10 games at home (decidedly not a launching pad). It’s cool to see a kid go on a run like that, he’s raised his BA / OPS from .196 / .533 to .274 / .871

Works for me.

Valdez homers in his first AAA at bat.

ETA:
Make that two homers in his first two AAA at bats.

3 Likes

Been following him for awhile. Love to see that!

Pedro Leon in a real funk right now. Hitting just .127 (8-63) over his last 17 games. On the plus side i guess he has been drawing a lot of walks during that stretch with 16 (20%) and cutting down a tad on his whiffs with 21 (26%).

1 Like

Going to RR Wednesday to watch Sugarland and RR. Is there anybody I should pay particular attention to?

Yes.

Korey Lee
Enmanuel Valdez
Meyers on rehab
Pedro Leon

I would add Hensley and Matijevic to VB’s list. The latter of course has already been up with the big club once this season.