2022 roster

Josh James back with the Space Cowboys and allowed his first baserunner (a double) since coming off the IL but otherwise struck out the side. 14 pitches, 11 strikes.

Post-IL: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 9 K, 36 pitches/30 strikes.

2 Likes

Oh, well. Fun to think about for awhile. I guess the initial report was false.

Easy come easy go I guess.

On the bright side the Yankees lost again.

Goodrum and Peter Solomon were the 2 DFA’s today.

2 Likes

Boy, that was fast - from a top prospect to DFA in six months.

Hope it proves to be a wise decision

He can both be a top minor league prospect and not one of the top 40 players that help the organization put the best 26 guys on the field/bench every day. The funnel get’s tighter as you go up.

For example there are only 5 pitchers on the 40 man roster who are not on the major league roster or on the IL right now. There is just limited space. I expect him to be picked up by a club who’s roster isn’t as deep as the Astros pitching roster is right now.

Doesn’t DFA still give the team a few days to trade him?

I remember Tyler White and Tony Kemp both being DFA’d before getting traded for Scrubb and Maldy respectively.

“A player who is designated for assignment is immediately removed from the team’s 40-man roster, after which the team must within seven days, return the player to the 40-man roster, place the player on waivers, trade the player, release the player, or outright the player from the 40-man roster into Minor League Baseball”

Hopefully they’ll swap him for a younger player (A or A+) that they can take and try and make something out of over the next couple years.

That would only happen if someone thinks another team will beat them to the waiver claim.

2 Likes

Speaking of Scrubb:

https://www.si.com/mlb/astros/news/houston-astros-andre-scrubb-tosses-scoreless-minor-league-rehab-appearance

Wishful thinking I guess

I had forgotten Scrubb.

Me too. He pitched some big innings in the 2020 Postseason.

Posted in the Bus Ride but also posting here given that 4 of these guys currently are or were on the major league roster…

BA also noted that Brown is the only pitcher in the minors to average 96 or better on their FB (among those who have thrown 800 or more fastballs this season). And they note he is also the only minor league pitcher this year to average 90 or higher on their slider (at least 300 sliders thrown).

BA also polls each MLB team to determine best tools at the major league level. Winners in the AL:

• Best hitter: Yordan
  • Best pitcher: JV
  • Best FB: JV
  • Best CB: JV
  • Best control: JV
  • Best manager: Dusty
1 Like

I can hear the heads exploding around Astros-land through my computer screen.

2 Likes

I was giggling when I was posting that imagining the same thing.

2 Likes