2022 Dead Pool

Both were great. I never lived in Houston but saw them quite a bit in Brenham. Franklin also did UT football play by play for a couple of years.

Meatloaf

I was never much of a fan of his music and I’ve never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show but I loved him in Fight Club.

1 Like

Meat Loaf is one of the parts of the movie that’s still kind of funny.

1 Like

As I was finishing college, the era of microprocessor-based system design was just beginning. In one of my classes, my lab partner and I took an Intel 8080, begged a couple of A-D and D-A converters and 4 KB of RAM off of an Analog Devices rep, breadboarded things together, and wrote some software (you wrote in assembler at the time, and you liked it) for signal manipulation (amplitude modulation only, not enough compute horsepower to do frequency domain in real time). For the demo at the end of the term, we used “Time Warp” as our demo tune, and tricked it out with the various different distortions we had programmed. At the end, our professor’s first comment was “Your taste in music is very odd.”

5 Likes

Ahhh. I thought at first that you were just regurgitating the plot of the movie.

1 Like

I just happen to be of the age that Meat Loaf’s Bat Out Of Hell hit right between the eyes. Already being a Todd and Utopia fan, I was intrigued by it at first and pulled in right away. Not much of his other stuff has stuck with me quite like BOOH but he was an incredible talent. RIP.

1 Like

Comedian Louie Anderson, 68.

These are starting to hit just a little too close to home.

2 Likes

Apparently, he was actually praying for the end of time to hurry up and arrive.

It’s the one thing he wouldn’t do for love

2 Likes

Preliminary reports seem to indicate he got his wish.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Clark Gillies - NHL Hall of Fame; four time Stanley Cup champion; former Astro farmhand.
At 67. Of cancer. Vaccination status unknown.

I did not know he was an Astros farmhand. Hell of a hockey player.

For those with a subscription, Greg Rajan had an interesting article a couple of years ago about him and fellow NHL player Bob Bourne and their days in the Astros system back in the early 70s.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Clark-Gillies-Bob-Bourne-Islanders-Astros-NHL-15279388.php

Gillies’ son is married to Bourne’s daughter.

1 Like

Peter Robbins - voice of Charlie Brown.

Good grief.

I was a huge Charlie Brown fan when I was wee, so I grew up hearing that voice. We had a SuperX drug store down the street from our house when I was 9 or 10 and they carried the little Peanuts paperback books and I would go down there every week with my allowance and buy one. And of course never miss the TV specials. He was very young too, sad.

1 Like

Howard Hesseman, 81

1 Like