2021 Top Prospects Lists

Fangraphs Top 33 prospects for 2021 is a pretty familiar set of names. I think only pitcher Misael Tamarez hasn’t shown up elsewhere previously (whether MLB Pipeline, BA or FG itself).

Well this sucks…

I did not see Jordan Brewer or Dauri Lorenzo anywhere either.

… nor Nathan Perry, though he is not on a prospect list.

#28 on the MLB Pipeline list.

So he is. I know he is worth watching.

Among other guys who populate the prospect lists I don’t see Jairo Lopez anywhere. If healthy, I would have expected an assignment to Fayetteville for him.

What’s Lorenzo about? Never heard of him

Brewer is a notable omission.

Lorenzo is organizational depth – he has been around for 3-4 years; decent bat but nothing to get excited about.

Dauri Lorenzo is not org depth. He’s a 2019 IFA signee who inked for $1.8MM. Because of the pandemic, he’s yet to play a professional inning. He’s slated for the GCL this year. Right now he’s in the 19-22 range on the Top 30 prospect lists.

Sorry – I was looking at the catching and my mind went “Lorenzo Quintana”. You are, of course, correct that Dauri is a true prospect. And I should have reset the context since I was the one whop mentioned him here. I had read somewhere that they expected to start him in Fayetteville, but I guess that was wrong.

Whether he’ll ever make consistent contact is the question however. He’s hitting just .227 for the Hooks and his career batting average after 6 years in the minors is just .238.

FWIW, the Astros now have 4 catchers on the MLB Pipeline list including Manea, Korey Lee, Nate Perry and CJ Stubbs. Only Lee shows up on Baseball America’s list although BA does include another catcher in Juan Santander.

Can’t remember where, but a few months back I remember reading that many clubs may move “framing ability” way down the list in terms of what they are looking at in catching prospects as many are thinking that MLB may be moving to get umps out of the balls & strikes portion of umpiring.

That makes sense. I also remember reading that the gap between the best and the worst framers, at least in the quantifiable sense certain teams were looking at, has shrunk since it became such a hot stat.

If I remember right, the conclusion was that framing (the quantifiable version, anyway) is pretty teachable and that there wasn’t much need to pay a premium for it. So maybe the best guys are still really good, but the worst guys were able to get to “decent” pretty quickly.

I was looking back at the 2019 draft and was wondering about the status of Jordan Brewer. I couldn’t find him as active this year. Anyone know what’s up with him?

Recovering from knee surgery.

I’ve seen him working out at West Palm Beach (seems like at least a month ago) so he can’t be that far away from returning.

1 Like

Kevin Goldstein includes Skeeters OF Jake Meyers in his list of “low-hype prospects” which is really a bit head-scratching. Not that I think Meyers won’t get some big league time at some point with some team. But it’s odd that Fangraphs 33-deep list of Astros prospects doesn’t even include Meyers and Goldstein almost certainly was involved in putting together that list. So what changed in the last month or two to suddenly put him on FG’s prospect radar? Was the .309/.378/.509 line in 20 AAA games to start the season really enough to move the needle? (Goldstein does cite some specifics in the article to justify his inclusion but it still looks like a brain fart not to have included Meyers on the preseason Astros’ list similar to what BA did)

The most head-scratching thing about that article is when he says Myles Straw has a “cannon for an arm”

2 Likes

Yes, that too.

His tool set, according to the posted link, reminds of Marisnick.
Meyers has approach issues that will likely limit the pure hit tool, but with speed, a bit of power and the plus defense