2021 roster

Once again. They just traded for Montero. They just traded for him. A couple of days ago. They didn’t have to. This isn’t the NBA where you have to match salaries of players coming and going. If they didn’t want him he wouldn’t be here. I would be absolutely shocked if they DFA’d the guy

1 Like

If he won’t be back till September they can put him on the 60 day IL for roster relief. Last game was 6/29.

Can a player begin a rehab before the IL stint ends so he is ready when he is eligible?

I thought we needed a starter too. I never thought we could get a front line guy because I didn’t think we had the ammo to do so, but someone like Gibson, Pineda etc would have given us some depth for Urquidy’s issues and to rest L Garcia some down the stretch. I guess they can also call someone up from AAA for a start here and there??

Who, pray tell? Solomon?

Graveman on his welcome.
Did not see it posted elsewhere.

Oh I have no idea. I’m grasping at straws. Since you will be down there tonight scout things out. Who starts down there tonight for us???

Something tells me Jim is not driving to Sugar Land to call the DH today.

1 Like

Heh, maybe just a bit of an apologist but not enough to argue vociferously for him on the intertrons. I guess I just don’t think he’s as terrible as the vast majority of Astros fans think, he’s just an average relief pitcher, back-of-the-bullpen guy. There was a period of time earlier this year where one could make a case for him as the second-best reliever on the team, which illustrates the gravity of the bullpen problem that Click did well to address this week.

Y’all are probably right that Brooks is the odd man out today and I wish him well on his next adventrue.

Yes. Position players can rehab for up to 20 days, pitchers up to 30 days.

1 Like

I thought I saw a post where he said he was calling the game. Might have dreamed that.

1 Like

I am going to be in RR doing an Express game with Mike Capps. They are the Rangers, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Apparently Tyler Ivey was transferred to the 60-day IL yesterday to make room on the 40-man roster for Jake Meyers, but I haven’t seen that transaction posted yet online. That starts his service clock.

I’m guessing that the Astros either use an opener for some of Garcia’s future starts, or start Javier.

They also can do some little things to curb his innings. For example, with the off day Monday, they could start McCullers on normal rest against the Giants tomorrow, Odorizzi on Tuesday in LA, Framber on Wednesday, Greinke Thursday vs the Twins, McCullers Friday, and Garcia doesn’t have to start again until next Saturday.

The following week, they only have five games (Tues-Wed, Fri-Sun), so they can skip Garcia’s spot entirely.

If only Dusty Baker believed Raley was a back-of-the-bullpen guy and used him accordingly. There wouldn’t be nearly as much handwringing about Raley if that were the case.

2 Likes

How does not pitching help Garcia other than with an arbitrary number of innings?

I don’t believe it does, but they could use him out of the bullpen in the interim.

For the record, I’m not a fan of inning limits. I think teaching proper pitching mechanics and rest/recovery methods is a far better way to keep pitchers healthy.

2 Likes

I would not use Garcia out of the pen. I used to think they should, but I’ve done a 180 on where his value is. He’s a key starter in the rotation, and they should not upset that.

3 Likes

I do not think he is needed in the bullpen at the present time, but we’ll see. I do not think they got all these arms if Garcia is headed to the pen. As I have said many times, I hate pitch counts, especially in the minors, and arbitrary innings limits. The pitcher, the pitching coach, and the training staff can and should make whatever decisions are required.

2 Likes

Whatever the Stros do with Garcia or any other pitcher, I’m assuming this is the case. Could be wrong, it could be dictated by the Nerd Cave, but I hope not.

1 Like

I wouldn’t, either. The roles are vastly different, and I like Garcia where he is, too. I’d rather take other measures to ensure his arm stays healthy, and the Astros have the best pitching coach in the game, in my opinion. Let Strom and Garcia figure out the best way to move forward and communicate that to Click.