2021 roster

Also in The Athletic, Kaplan tossed out the name of Trevor May as a reliever who might be a possible fit for the Astros.

ETA:
Wasn’t really familiar with May so had to look him up. 31 year old righty whiffed 38 in 23 IP in 2020. His K% of 39.6% was the highest of his 7-year career with the Twins. Looks like he cut back a bit on FB usage this past season, ditched his CB completely and more than doubled how often he used the slider.

Statcast Numbers

1 Like

Would love love to see Brantley back.

1 Like

Sure, I’d love Brantley back, but that points to no chance at Springer.

Probably no chance with or without Brantley. Sign him if we can.

2 Likes

Springer will be a Met, which makes me very unhappy.

I still think if the money is comparable Springer will prefer to play for a contender. The Mets are at the very best the 3th best team in their division, and that is with Springer.

Make it four if Heyman is accurate about the Blue Jays also being interested (also says they’re interested in Springer).

https://www.radio.com/weei/sports/red-sox/blue-jays-reportedly-interested-in-springer-jbj?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Blue Jay already have a pretty good outfield. And all are younger than JBJ or Springer. I guess they could use more veteran presence.

1 Like

Does anyone have thoughts on Pedro Leon?

I’m crossing my fingers that he signs, until then its not a done deal.

When/if he signs he could be starting RF sooner rather than later

Fangraphs did a scouting report on him that looks very promising.: plus power, speed, and glove average hit and cannon arm. When I say cannon arm, they rate it at 80.( in 2014 they rated Carlos Correa at 65)

And with his professional experience in Cuba, maybe he cruises through the system quickly.

His professional experience consisted of just 65 games in the CNS over two seasons. Contrast that with someone like Yasiel Puig (to pick a name out of the air) who played something like 159 games in the Serie in his two years there and at a younger age than Leon. Puig was a much more highly-touted player than Leon and did reach the bigs a year after signing with the Dodgers, I can’t imagine any timeline for Leon that would even remotely touch that. If you’re dreaming of anything earlier than 2024 you’re bound to be disappointed.

1 Like

Objection! Asked and Answered

Just for comparison, I looked up Yuli’s numbers as a 20 year old in the Cuban Series:
in 405 PA/370 AB he hit .341/.398/608

Leon’s 20 year stats
152 PA/128 AB he hit …383/.467/.789

Two cautions - small sample size and the amount of talent that has left Cuba since Yuli was 20 (2004 season)

1 Like

Get it done, Crane and Click.

I find it hard to believe someone has a materially better arm than Carlos

I think that’s more fact than opinion. I strongly agree with you.

I mentioned that not to say “he’s got a better arm than Carlos” but to show 1) they really think a lot of his arm and 2) they don’t give out 80 grades lightly.

If Carlos has a 65 arm then 80 is Bo Jackson

I was not expecting him to be in the opening day lineup next year, or even be promoted after a couple of months. Like Yuli.

I must confess, though, that I was hoping for sometime in 2022.

Thanks for the additional info and perspective. I appreciate it.

1 Like

I bet CC has better than a 65 now. He threw some seeds in the post-season.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing his name up. I’ll be on the lookout.

1 Like

QO rejected.