2021 roster

While I respect the work that Fangraphs does, it always pays to double check their information against MLB.com, Baseball America, etc. MLB.com rates Pedro Leon’s arm at just 55. That is one serious discrepancy on arm strength. Obviously prospect evaluations are opinions and they can vary from source to source but arm strength is measurable (projections aside) so that would be the one you’d think there would be the least amount of disagreement on. So tap the brakes for now on just how strong that arm is.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/international/

1 Like

Thanks. Its good to have additional info and a lesson to never take a single opinion as gospel.

But this scouting report still looks like a future regular and possible all star.

Jack Mayfield claimed on waivers by the Braves. 40-man roster drops to 35.

Dang. I like Mayfield. I was hoping he’d get to the point he hit enough to keep around.

2 Likes

I like him too. Strikes me as a guy who can always find a spot on someone’s 40-man and will spend good time as an injury replacement or more on the big club.

And the 40-man roster is further reduced as Arizona claims Rogelio Armenteros on waivers.

Thought yall said he was in the Mexican League?

He was playing winter ball in the Dominican.

Yeah I translated that wrong

I did too, Matt. He hit well enough in RR but never in Houston.

Note that the Astros had 3 players on the restricted list which don’t count toward the 40-man roster limit:

• Joe Smith (COVID opt-out)
  • Francis Martes (PEDs)
  • Kent Emanuel (PEDs)

Smith apparently was recently activated however even though there was no public announcement by the Astros (and not being reflected on the 40-man roster at astros.com).

So the Astros actually entered today with 37 players on the 40-man (not 36 if you were relying on astros.com). So minus Mayfield and Armenteros they’re currently at 35 players.

Any guesses on who they add for Rule 5 protection? Whitley and Freudis Nova are the top two Astros prospects (per MLB.com’s Top 30), and both would be subject to Rule 5, so they’re probably locks to be added. After that, you’ve got a half dozen guys who are reasonable candidates for the other three slots:

• Jairo Solis (RHP, Astros #8 prospect),
  • Tyler Ivey (RHP, #12),
  • Jose Alberto Rivera (RHP, #14),
  • Jojanse Torres (RHP, #15),
  • Luis Santana (2B/3B, #19),
  • Peter Solomon (RHP, #27),
  • Ronnie Dawson (OF, #29).

It’s tough to make educated picks without a 2020 minor league season to go off of, but my guess is that it’s Solis, Ivey, and Torres. We’ll know soon enough.

All those players were already mentioned over here in the Rule 5 thread:

https://forumbackup.orangewhoopass.com/t/2020-rule-5-draft/724

It was only a matter of time before I earned a Cabrera merit badge.

3 Likes

Also, I don’t think Jojanse Torres is actually Rule 5 eligible and thus won’t need protecting.

I was hoping Click would trade a few bodies for a single useful player before the 40 man crunch whittled them away.

I could see - Armenteros, Toro. Nivaldo Rodriguez, and Bailey bringing back a player like Yastrzemski

That would clear 3 spots on the 40 man as well as fill an outfield hole.

Roster now down to 34 with the trade of Brandon Bailey to the Reds for cash considerations.

1 Like

Could “cash considerations” equal international signing pool money?

That’s usually specified upfront from what I remember of past transactions involving pool money. So i’m not completely sure but i lean towards the doubtful side.

1 Like

Whitley, Nova, Solis, Ivey and Solomon were all added to bring the roster to 39.

25 pitchers, 14 position players.

Plus 2 more pitchers on the restricted list.