2021 Dead Pool

Brilliant. Never thought of that quote that way.

I think that’s Pulp Fiction.

I had no clue about the quote. I flunked Pop Culture. My son, however, has a Ph D.

I am pretty loose (probably too loose) with criticism of the living and the long-gone, but the occasion of death is just not the time. Even if sometimes, over the years, I have had to bite real hard on my tongue.

1 Like

Once, my staunchly Irish-American girlfriend was on a rant about stereotypes of drunken Irish. I played along agreeing with her: “…anybody who knows real Irish people from Ireland knows they…” she finished my sentence with “touch nary a drop!” We both burst out laughing.

1 Like

The problem is that, in the immediate aftermath of someone’s passing, there is a tendency to whitewash their behavior during life, and it’s the time that their legacy - literally their obituary - is being written. If you’re going to laud the good you need to recognize the bad too.

In this case, of course Philip was loved by his wife and family and their grief should be respected. But, as a public figure, he lived a life of unimaginable privilege with which he did…what?

Oh, fuck all that. History will take care of Phillip. Those of here now should STFU.

Why? It’s one thing for a person like myself or any other denizen of OWA, but why in the world would anyone celebrate this celebrity’s life? He was a horrible human being. Reminds me of Dorothy Parker’s comment about speaking good about the dead. Philip is dead. Good.

He must have pissed on your shoes.

Celebrating a life is quite different than celebrating a death. You want to cheer his death? Ok, you have outed yourself to me.

The thing I keep thinking about is how Prince Philip stayed consistently above room temperature for over ninety nine years, and then, suddenly, out of the blue he’s dead?

I. Don’t. Think. So.

This looks like the work of Antifa.

1 Like

Amen and absolution.

Bernie Madoff anyone?

It’s kind of amazing that he lived long enough to die of cancer.

No thank you.

I don’t know if this is the time or the place, but let me tell you about this hot investment opportunity.

Ah, nevermind.

It’s more of a Shelbyville idea.

2 Likes

Helen McCrory, Aunt Polly in Peaky Blinders (and she was good in everything I remember seeing her in). 52 years old, fuck cancer.

FYI, McCrory was married to Damian Lewis of Homeland and Band of Brothers.

Yep, learned in her obit that last year she and Lewis raised over £1m to buy takeout meals in London and throughout the UK and deliver them to NHS workers, which is pretty awesome.

2 Likes

Walter Mondale at 93.

File that one under “thought he was already gone.”