You don't have to be a baseball fan to smile at this

I can see the justification for a hit based on the distance the shortstop had to run. That was more than a routine play. Plays like they happen in foul territory and players are rarely given errors for missing a pop after a long run.

He ran a long way but was essentially settled under it.

Dropped pop ups in foul territory generally don’t give a runner 3 bases, either.

It was a hard run but not a particularly long one, I think, and he was under the ball. E6 to me if the scorer is objective.

Still stands as a triple in the box score today. A home call?

Plus he chose to make a basket catch.

All he had to do was reach up and catch it.

E6.

I’ll notify MLB.

3 Likes

I wish I could amend the title to read

"You don’t have to be a baseball fan to smile, marvel - or scratch your head - at THIS!

No-look catch & DP.

Wow.

Smooth as silk too.

and total dumb luck

Not a spectator.
Padre CF gets PO @ 2B in rundown. (Padres @ Mariners, 19 Sep 20)

Not sure if this will make you smile but it is an amazing story.

Here’s what he just did.

4 Likes

BudGirl, this is a miracle - not only for Drew but for his family, and others.
More than a smile, it fits the “marvel” category.
Thank you!

I wasn’t sure about the smile because I was in tears.

Oh, I get the tears, but one could marvel about his impact on

• his caregivers - “He’s the only one in my career that I’ve had of dealing with enucleations (eye removal) – I’ve done an awful lot of them – who has come out in this state of mind and who has some sort of conviction, some sort of purpose,” Myint says. “I admire him for doing that.”`
  • on other players - That is the toughest guy I’ve ever met," Giants outfielder Alex Dickerson says. “Not just physically but mentally and how brave he is to be doing what he’s doing.”
  • his own outlook - “Even though I have one less eye, I haven’t seen things this clear my entire life.”

Thank you, BudGirl, for introducing Dean!

No, please. No more threads. Write a book instead.

I would assume depth perception would be pretty important in hitting a baseball. Maybe not as much as I thought.

While the challenges are not minimized in the article, but neither are some possibilities…

…He (Dean) no longer needs baseball in an elemental way. This is a test. Of his strength and resolve and willingness to flirt with failure.

Only one man has lost an eye and played in the major leagues: Whammy Douglas, who threw 47 innings for the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1957.

Myint, the eye surgeon, says that the binocular vision two eyes provide matters for up-close depth perception.

But hitters typically decide to swing when the ball is about 45 feet from home plate, where depth-perception issues, Myint says, would not necessarily manifest themselves.

And because, as a baseball player, Robinson’s brain has already exhibited a unique ability to track high-speed movement, the aptitude he had been showing in all these batting-practice sessions, Myint says, could be very real.

1 Like

(2012) Greinke pitching for the Brewers in Houston loses composure and gets kicked out - after 4 pitches
Ends up tying a ML record…

PS: Listen to his coach try to explain to the ump:

“You gotta understand what he’s throwing the ball like that for!!!”

Why T F did you post this?

“You don’t have to smile at this if you’re a baseball fan”

Or something or another