World Series

A lot would depend on why there is a Game 5. If the Astros are up 3-1, you may see Garcia. If the Astros are down 3-1 and they throw anyone other than JV, you guys better be gathering my bail money.

3 Likes

Totally agree. I’ll be right there with you if they skip a rested JV for Garcia/Urquidy.

This is pretty much what I’m seeing. The Phillies are all out of fucks to give and they’re going to come in and let it fly. I’m not going to say I’d rather face the Dodgers, but in some respects facing the Dodgers would be more comfortable because they’d roll into town and say, Yeah, well, here we are, whereas the Phillies are going to storm into town and say AHHHGHGHGHGGPPHHHTTTH!!!

2 Likes

When I realized the Phillies were singing together in their champagne flooded clubhouse I thought: Uh-oh.

1 Like

Even if you’re up 3-1 going into game 5, I still think the best way to line that up is Verlander 5, Framber 6, and whichever of Javier/Mccullers started game 3 for game 7. Never give up a game, throw the best guy you have that is rested. And I think that’s what Dusty will do too.

For the record I would line the rotation up the same way they did in the ALCS. I’d rather have Javier start two games than McCullers.

2 Likes

The only counter to this I have is I wouldn’t hate having McCullers throw twice in Houston, Game 2 and 6.

1 Like

I was going to say they could have done that in the ALCS but I guess his elbow ruled that out.

Grist for the mill: Home/Road splits for Framber and LMJ:

Home:

Framber: 7-4 3.54 ERA 100 K 30 BB 1.263 WHIP .240 BAA
LMJ: 2-1 1.50 ERA 29 K 13 BB 1.033 WHIP .178 BAA

Road:

Framber: 10-2 2.27 ERA 94 K 37 BB 1.078 WHIP .209 BAA
LMJ: 2-1 3.57 ERA 21 K 9 BB 1.585 WHIP .268 BAA

Framber is a road machine, and LMJ one at home.

ETA:

In the Postseason, Framber has made six road starts. He’s 4-1 in those. He’s made five starts at home, and he’s 1-1. LMJ is 0-2 in his eight road starts and is 2-0 in three home starts. The history numbers certainly favor LMJ throwing twice in Houston and Framber on the road.

2 Likes

My simple minded way of looking at it:

Framber is my second best pitcher so he throws game 2.

5 Likes

I don’t disagree. You need the first two in Houston, and Framber gives you a better chance at Game 2 than does LMJ, but he also gives you a better chance in Game 3. It would not be out of the question to go with:

Game 1 (H): Verlander
Game 2 (H): McCullers
Game 3 (R): Valdez
Game 4 (R): Javier
Game 5 (R): Verlander
Game 6 (H): McCullers
Game 7 (H): Valdez

This not only gives you Verlander, Valdez and McCullers two games each on full rest, it takes advantage of the splits.

2 Likes

At this point I’m cool with whatever Dusty decides…he’s made some tough decisions that to this point have worked out. Knock on wood he continues to pull the right strings for one more series.

Will Smith has NL experience also

1 Like
2 Likes
5 Likes

A couple of days ago, MLB was worried that the World Series schedule may get pushed back. Now they’re worried people will have forgotten it’s coming up.

Been watching several things talking about the upcoming weather in Philadelphia…rain, rain and more rain Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for several consecutive rain outs. Even talk Philly might be able to go with a 2-man rotation of Wheeler and Nola, which sounds ridiculous, but hey…you never know.

DAS!!! Get on it!!!

They were made to play in rain, which was fairly hard at times, during the last game with SD. To me that is as ridiculous as a two-man rotation. I would hate to lose because of the weather, but we have four games under a roof to prevent that. We must win these first two in Houston.

3 Likes

Maybe not “white hot”, but a lot more dangerous than their record or September performance might suggest.

They were 22-29 when Giraldi was fired. That means they were 65-46 afterward, which is a .586 pace, good for 4th in NL, and done without Harper for a couple of months. During that time, some of their young guys have been getting better and getting experience, so the overall trajectory has been up. And their big late season addition was getting Harper back in late August.

They started September being swept by the Giants and also were swept by the Braves early in the month, and then lost 2 of 3 to the Braves later in the month. But they’ve slayed that dragon since. They also took 2 of 3 from the BlueJays in Sept and the only bad series, I think, was the Cubs series. They clinched against the Astros with a Nola/Alvarado/Eflin 2 hitter. Though the Astros may not have been psyched up for the series, you’d have to toss out the blow out second game win since it seemed that the Phils had partied pretty hard the night before. And the rubber game Astros won was 3-2.

Whether taking down the Cards, Braves, and Padres in the post season constitutes “white hot” or not, they’ve been steadily building toward this and are dangerous.

1 Like

Any team is dangerous in the playoffs, and a hot team especially is.

2 Likes