White Sox @ Astros, June 18, 2021

In about 5 different Latin countries I’ve gotten called out by friends: “You sound SO Mexican.”

I’m from Texas, what the fuck do you think I’m gonna sound like?

1 Like

Agreed. I also hope he gets a well-earned invite to the All-Star Game in a few weeks.

1 Like

They’re always arguing about something. You know, there’s a sort of Hyde Park Speaker’s Corner in Havana where people get together specifically to argue about baseball. Hanging out in your neighborhood arguing with your cronies over ron and puros isn’t nearly good enough for these people. They had to set up a designated area for the activity in the middle of town.

It always amuses me when gringos speak Spanish with an identifiable accent other than gringo. I know a dude in Medellin who speaks with a paisa accent, and I find that relentlessly hilarious. I can’t do that accent, not even to mock it. Maybe if I spent more time there, but there’s a rhythm and a sing song element that I just can’t catch. Not a million miles from a Mexican accent, but quite different.

My Spanish always confounds people who aren’t used to people like me appearing in their lives. I’m often asked if I’m from Argentina, which is funny since my accent couldn’t be farther from an Argentine accent, and I only ever do the whole voseo thing and the sha thing to dick around and have fun. I guess their thought process goes, This guy speaks Spanish but it’s fucked up and weird so ergo he must be from Argentina.

1 Like

All I know is when a Cuban chick angrily screams “mira aqui!” at you, your ass is in trouble. Cuban men argue, Cuban women just yell. All the fucking time.

Next time you see Iñez ask her Que bola, asere?

Yell if you deem it more appropriate.

I said this exact same thing about him in 2015, and the Hounds of TZ Hell came down on me. I do not think it is selfish so much as self-absorbed about getting a hit, and the game situation be damned. He is not vey baseball-intelligent. All he thinks about is getting hits. I do think he cares about the team.

If he wanted to get a hit, he had two really good chances to drive the ball to right when the bases were loaded. Or even just pooch the ball to right, which would have amounted to the same thing, maybe even better.

I don’t want to get stabbed.

They have knives in the cigar shop? I thought they’d only have the cigar cutters. You’d be in danger of getting stubbed, not stabbed.

1 Like

Last time I was there Ynez was not there. Some chick named Kelley was at the bar. Kelley was also Cuban, but not nearly as hot.

If you can train yourself to get away from watching the ball, this enhances the experience, I think. On Altuve’s Mad Dash in 2017, as soon as I saw the ball was down, I watched Altuve run and occasionally looked to see where the relay was. It is hard not to make the ball your sole focus, but it is rewarding if you can look away at times.

The same is true in most any sport, hard to do but quite rewarding if you want to know how things actually work.

I discovered this about hockey when I attended my first live game. Watching on TV it’s hard to not focus on the puck because that’s what they follow with the camera. But in person you can see the whole ice and the strategy, plays develop, etc. It’s much easier to follow.

2 Likes

I watch hockey on my computer and even when I watch on a much larger screen half the time I have no idea where the puck is. It’s not that I can’t anticipate its movement; I just can’t see it.

I got done with the last part of my requal training at SWA today (the MAX is safe to fly!) and rolled the dice to try to get on a flight home that would put me in 3.5 hours earlier. I’m ever grateful the kind customer service agent put me on that flight so I could get home and see my beloved Houston Astros baseball club pull off this win tonight. Being stuck in dallass for 8 days of training and not being able to watch the Astros due to mlb blackout rules added to my misery, but hey, 1st World Problems.

Let’s hope The Orange Fire is finding 2021 form of late and can keep rollin’. This has been fun the past few days…

Luv ya Orange.

I learned to do this when I, as a young football coach, was sent to scout other teams. A scout has to watch more than the ball or the varsity coaches will not be happy with the report.

Blummer saying, “Go Yuli” once Yordan’s hit was in play fair was akin to this.
I miss that about being at a game in person.

There’s a great look at the game winning hit on the highlights page for the game on mlb.com.

Go to that link and choose the video captioned “Check out Alvarez’s walk-off” (unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be a way I can put a direct link to the video. It’s the 3rd one from the left on the top row). I guess it’s from the 3rd base dugout camera, but you see the whole play develop with no play by play, just the crowd noise. Anyway, check it out. It’s pretty neat.

1 Like

Yordan looked big and menacing as he lumbered around 1st.