What are you eating?

Steaks should be cooked outside, regardless of the cooking surface, to keep from smoking up the kitchen for three days. At the same time, to my taste, nothing beats cast iron—hot as the surface of the sun.

Cast iron won’t give you a higher temp than what your heat source provides. The magic of cast iron is more searing surface for that tasty Maillard reaction. (As in - why settle for criss crossed gill marks when the whole steak can be a gill mark) Unless I invest in professional indoor cooking appliances, I can always get a higher temp outside using a good old fire.

Doing the reverse sear method on your smoker allows for a much deeper and flavorful smoke profile on the finished product. Once you get your “center” close to temp you can blast away using really any method. A fire at 800 degrees will taste absolutely the same as a gas originated heat source at 800 degrees. At those temps the smoke from a live fire is almost meaningless to the flavor. (This doesn’t account for the seasoning of your cooking surface which is a separate issue)

If that dog bites my kid I’ll kill it

All of that is true. And if you want a smoky flavor on your steak, it’s probably the best way to go. I don’t want all that smoke flavor in my steak. I just want some of that crusty outside and the center warm enough to melt butter. Of course, for me it’s filet mignon or nothing. I’m not a fan of t-bones or NY strip and the like. Get the grill 700 or so degrees, a couple of minutes on each side, and I’m in steak heaven.

1 Like

I’m getting close to the filet mignon as my go to steak. But a good prime an inch and a half thick NY Strip or Ribeye, the kind you get from Central Market, will always be welcomed to my table. T-Bones are for campouts.

Hey what’s the best temperature for grilling a cat?

2 Likes

I would too.

I’ll ask my Vietnamese buddy and get back to you.

Cats are most succulent at a steady 277.89 degrees. This is known.

Now that I think about it you could always eat it. Sous vide is popular these days I understand. You’re just going to want plenty of pikliz.

Sweet thanks

Of course this is for a “whole kitty cook”. Not for the individual ribs or hind quarters you commonly find in Ohio grocery stores.

1 Like

I’m a “ribeye guy”. But I don’t turn down any cuts that find their way to me.

Just ask BizidyDizidy

1 Like

If you are in Austin, try Lee’s Market — best NY strips or filets I have found anywhere.

I’m in New Braunfels but go to Austin often. Where is Lee’s Market?

Catatouille

1 Like

Jefferson Square.

1 Like

I was thinking about the chow chow relish my papaw used to make. So I googled
chow chow. I didn’t know Papaw was a Haitian immigrant.

Lots of families have interesting secrets.

1 Like