What are you eating?

Thanks, everyone. Our original plan was to shred and then mix the bbq sauce in the slow cooker. We read a few suggestions online for other techniques, but this is much more in line with what we’ve done.

And agreed about Hawaiian rolls. They’re effing delicious with pulled pork. I do like tacos, though.

One of my favorite pig cooks involved half a hog, shredded, and the literal chefs put reduced mango nectar and habanero peppers + stuff in a blender. They poured that stuff over the pork and it was amazing.

That sounds terrible and absolutely not something we should do for an OWA meet up.

I am here to tell you that mangoes, habaneros and red onions combine for an unbeatable combination. And it doesn’t really matter how you do it or what it’s meant to accompany. Heat it, don’t heat it, add vinegar, don’t.

3 Likes
1 Like

I smoked short ribs yesterday. Only took about 6 hours in the Traeger at 275. I used the Franklin recipe, which calls for only hot sauce, salt and pepper, and they were very good, but if I had it to do over again I would have dialed that heat down and gone about it at a more leisurely pace. They were on sale at Whole Foods but of course at Whole Foods they’re all cut into individual pieces instead of being sold as a plate or half plate. The 285 probably would’ve been justified by a plate or half plate–with individual it happened too fast.

Also: I made the best pulled pork of my life last week. The trick was that I was resolved not to worry about eating it the same day, with the result that I just let it take all freaking day and into the night at 225 without ever wrapping. Not a colossal piece of meat, either: I think it was 4.5 pounds without a bone. Dry-brining 24-hours in advance is a must; I use brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder. Wrapped it in foil once it reached 203 and dropped it in my cooler, went to bed, pulled it the next day. Outstanding bark on that sucker and insanely succulent, savory meat. Chef’s kiss if I do say so myself.

5 Likes

Sounds good. I would only say that I would never wrap in foil (pork or brisket or chicken or ostrich or anything), only in butcher paper. Foil softens the bark, or at least that’s been my experience.

Paper is the way to go.

Looks like Houston is trying for a new kind of star

Houston First, the city’s tourism department, revealed that it is paying $90,000 per year for three years — meaning the city will invest a whopping $270,000 to have the Michelin Guide here in Houston. Holly Clapham-Rosenow, Houston First’s chief marketing officer, says the city redirected some of its budget from various departments to the guide, which is standard for opportunities that come about during the year or when business strategies shift. “Budgets have some fluidity if the right opportunities come about, and opportunities like Michelin, Top Chef, and James Beard — we’re going to jump on them,” she says, adding that the investment seemed worth it considering the culinary scene is one of Houston’s biggest traveler draws.

1 Like

The Michelin Guide has never been in Texas until recently/this year

Have the results been published yet?

Perhaps we should publish an OWA Guide. Restaurants would be fighting to get our endorsement.

4 Likes

What would the very fine restaurants of Houston be awarded instead of a Michelin Star? A “Whooped Ass”? Or maybe a “cnadle”?

A backwards ballcap.

I remember liking El Tiempo in Houston, on Richmond?, years ago. Some Dallas critic just destroyed it in his review of their first DFW location.

Good because it fucking sucks.

The DFW location is in the husk of the ballpark at Arlington, which apparently is being transferred into more of a mixed-sports-retail-office park than it already was. And it’s now called Choctaw Stadium.

El Tiempo has good margaritas, edible grilled meats, and is wildly more expensive than it should be.

The best thing I can say about the food at that shithole is they don’t give you very much of it.

2 Likes

The “parillada” mixed grill was great 20 years ago. That’s all I know or care about that place.

Yeah, fuck that place. Over priced food for dumb gringos.

1 Like