What are you eating?

Like I said - zero sense of practical things.

1 Like

I read a food article a few years ago that claimed that mayonnaise spread on pretty much any meat before cooking would cause the meat to brown better but not affect the taste. I think it was in the NYT. I tried it a few times with chicken with no particular results, but gave it up because Kris is so virulently anti-mayonnaise that if I take it out of the refrigerator she thinks I’ve ruined any food that might be prepared in the vicinity. I’m not sure she’s ok with us owning mayonnaise.

Picture of what a kitchen would look like if you followed every NYT “necessity”:

2 Likes

The store in Kendalia has what they call a Coon burger that is a cheese burger with peanut butter. It is delicious. At least they did.

1 Like

It was NYT, in fact. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt made the case for it there and on his website Serious Eats, which I can’t recommend highly enough. I tried using mayo like that a few times. Worked well enough, I suppose, but not enough for me to adhere to the idea with any great enthusiasm.

Mayo spread on a sandwich or burger, however, is fucking fantastic.

ETA - mayo in place of butter on the outside of a grilled cheese is a game changer.

3 Likes

^^^ this guy gets it

Haven’t been there in ages, they made a damn good burger.

Another place I haven’t been to in a while, Alamo Springs Cafe, closed out of the blue recently. There is some scuttlebutt that they’re reopening in the Spring.

They have Pecos Cantaloupes at the H-E-B in New Braunfels at Walnut & I-35. I assume H-E-B as them elsewhere. $3.98 each. About twice the price of the mass produced, often tasteless, cantaloupes.

2 Likes

So I go to HEB, expecting chile roasting, and they say “nope, Harris County won’t let us”. What the fuck?

Still, making green chile fajitas after the game.

Taking away gas roasters could be a legitimate campaign issue.

1 Like

This is more egregious that Centerpoint.

You need a little blowtorch. Put peppers on cold grill, roast and turn to your liking, put in ziploc to sweat, use paper towels (gloves are a good idea too) to rub off as much black as you want

Also, what’s your fajita marinade?

I know how, I was just hoping I could by a few dozen and not have to.

1 Like

Lowrie’s tequila lime marinade. Usually. But today I have Hatch chile marinated chicken breasts.

1 Like

Slow cooker pulled pork. Debating Kings Hawaiian sweet rolls or flour tortillas for a bitched up gringo taco. Or both.

I have a quart of Feges bbq sauce that Patrick was kind enough to gift me after a Southern Smoke fundraiser last week here in Napa. Not sure how to finish off the pork, though, once I’ve shredded it and mixed in the sauce. Under the broiler? In the pan a la carnitas? Something else entirely?

Pull it out…pull it for real…drain some grease…back in the crock pot with sauce (you can heat up the sauce on the stove beforehand).

I love King’s rolls for a lot of things, then sometimes I think they’re too sweet for what I’m doing (as I’m eating one)

1 Like

That’s actually a photograph of our kitchen!

I second this method. Cook the pork, shred it, mix in the sauce then back in the slow cooker for an hour. And yes, King’s Hawaiian rolls.

We eat our pulled pork on Hawaiian rolls topped with Asian slaw.

1 Like