What are you eating?

I thought that place was called “Torchey’s”

Except Torchey’s doesn’t pretend not to be.

At least El Tiempo has the self respect to make their own tortillas.

2 Likes

Man, these Pecos cantaloupes are so tender and super tastey,

2 Likes

El Tiempo works on the same principle as places like The Olive Garden: we’ll give you twice as much as you need - costing us an extra buck or two per plate - and charge you twice as much.

People think they’re getting value for money because they get two meals for the price of one, when they’re getting two meals for the price of two, but it costs the restaurant less than the cost of 1.5 meals.

It’s usually the place a big group of people can agree on. I’ve never been a huge fan but there are dishes there I like.

Now here’s the question: what are the best Tex Mex options in Houston?

Lots of small mom and pop joints scratch the itch. Of the bigger ones…despite their descent into El Tiempo, the Original Ninfa’s on Navigation is still pretty good. Irma’s is always on the list. I’ve always been a fan of Guadalajara and Cyclone Anaya’s. Typically it’s the small joints that get my business.

1 Like

When I lived near 290/Beltway, there was a mom ’n’ pop place in a strip mall on 290 that was great. The food was solid and the drinks were good, but the real joy was supporting an independent business.

Also, it was stupidly cheap, so I overtipped the waitstaff. Always good a good reception.

Any specific mom & pops?

In my neck of the woods? The fajitas poblanos at Eva’s is fantastic. I like Los Generales, Los 3 Ranchitos, and the breakfast tacos at Adriana’s were really good. But it’s Houston…you literally can’t get to the grocery store without passing a dozen or so Tex-Mex restaurants.

1 Like

I miss our lunches at Spanish Flowers before a group ballgame back in the pre-covid days. That was always one of the highlights of the day.

6 Likes

In your area, La Guadalapana is one of the city’s greatest.

2 Likes

I went to the original Ninfa’s a couple of months ago and was disappointed. It was expensive and not really very good. I ate at El Tiempo on lower Westheimer after that (which is owned by the Laurenzo family, so it has some credibility), and thought it was better than I remembered. There was a pretty solid combination plate. I went to Sylvia’s and had the stacked green enchiladas, and that was pretty cool. Spanish Flowers had stopped serving soup with meals, so they’re dead to me. Molina’s Cantina is bland but popular. Guadalupana has great breakfasts, so maybe I should try there later in the day. I miss the El Rey No. 7, which had the best cheese enchiladas in Houston. I need to go back to Hugo’s. There’s a lot of Tex-Mex in Houston, but I don’t know if there’s any great Tex-Mex in Houston.

ETA: Every time I’ve gone I’ve liked 100% Taquito, though I think technically it’s not Tex-Mex.

Hugo’s is decidedly not Tex-Mex, but it is awesome.

Is Backstreet Cafe still around? That’s where he got his start, as a dishwasher, then kept moving on up in the kitchen, marrying the owner, and starting his own place.

Back then it was the best date-day brunch in town. Crab cakes were on point.

It’s been a while since I’ve been there, but La Guadalupana has solid lunches, too.

1 Like

All I remember about that place was them getting busted in the 90’s for reusing salsa and getting multiple people sick.

They had a hell of a breakfast back then though.

You can’t make omelettes without breaking a few eggs is what I always say.

1 Like

Backstreet is still there, and still great.

2 Likes

Guadalupana is maybe my favorite breakfast in town, never even thought about going there for lunch before. I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

I used to live literally around the corner from La Guadalapana on Dunlavy. Fantastic place.

2 Likes