What are you eating?

Czech Stop. But the bakery downtown in West (now closed or under new management) was even better.

Both places have modified my travel routes and stops.

I haven’t been to Czech Stop enough to have a strong opinion about it, once or twice at most. I’ve been to Hruska’s a lot, and they are certainly the best Kolache within driving distance of Houston.

My kid said he wanted blueberry muffin ice cream last night, a flavor I’ve never seen or tried before. So I dragged the ice cream maker out of the dark recesses of the cabinet and got to work.

I steeped an HEB blueberry muffin in cream overnight to infuse it with that baked goods flavor, and after straining it with a cheesecloth, I used it in this Philly-style ice cream recipe. Layered in some swirls of homemade blueberry jam and chunks of streusel. Ended up tasting just like a blueberry muffin in ice cream form. Pretty proud of it.

Any of you mess around with weird ice cream flavors? What should I try next?

Damn, that sounds good.

You can never go wrong with bread pudding, brownies, peach/blackberry cobbler, and vanilla ice cream.

I’ve been known to bake a yellow cake with dark chocolate frosting, give half of it away, and eat the rest myself. I think that is the best cake.

Hell yeah.

And peach cobbler sounds pretty good too…

1 Like

There are five legitimate flavors of ice cream: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, pistachio, and cookies n cream.

Believe it or not, I beg to differ.

There are flavors (you forgot coffee), and then there are flavors plus stuff (ie cookies and cream)

1 Like

I’m not surprised that Hudson has these ridiculous notions with respect to ice cream, I’m just disappointed I didn’t see it coming.

I was in Santa Monica with my son a few weeks ago and he, a noted ice cream enthusiast, led me into an ice cream shop. This place:

They had all kinds of weird flavors. I ended up ordering blueberry glazed donut which was ok but had small pieces of glazed donut in the ice cream which I found mildly off-putting, and I ordered banana sea salt which was completely, totally ridiculous. I don’t like sweets, I don’t like desserts, I don’t like anything, but I would eat three gallons of this stuff. I have no idea how someone makes something so tremendous. It just makes no sense.

1 Like

Ben and Jerry’s: Americone Dream, and Chubby Hubby

I don’t eat a lot of ice cream unless it’s on a dessert, but when I do…

1 Like

I love a good chocolate covered strawberry. I am amazed some company has never done that as an ice cream flavor.

This is the best cake.

1 Like

I love Chubby Hubby. Where to sign up? The Ben&Jerry’s is alive or dead or missing in action or I don’t know.

Am I wrong!?!

You’re giving too much away.

I have to stay trim and svelte, or something

When the 34" jeans don’t fit, I know I have a problem

So many sweets would are massively improved just by adding salt. I never thought about it with banana before, but I’ll definitely give it a shot.

2 Likes

chocolate chip cookies with a sprinkle of salt

Salt enhances the flavor of just about anything, particularly sweet things. That’s why things like prosciutto and melon are so fucking good. Salt and chocolate are a match made in heaven. But like real chocolate…at least 70% cacao.

The only problem with prosciutto e melon is the “melon” part. It’s a bit of a struggle to find good ones.