What are you eating?

I don’t know why it is, I guess it’s just one of those inexplicable things, but I hate feta. Can’t tolerate it. My mom fried up feta rolled in cornmeal when I was a kid, and I couldn’t stand it.

ETA: Actually, feta with some sun-dried tomatoes and dill fried in cornmeal sounds pretty good.

Everybody doesn’t like something.

Was she by any chance using the Cornballer?

2 Likes

Have you ever tried skate knobs?

EVERY DAMN TIME!

I love feta. Ricotta, on the other hand, eh.

1 Like

For me, it’s cottage cheese. Nasty stuff.

1 Like

Kara loves cottage cheese. Me, not nearly so much. I was probably subjected to far too much of it as a kid.

Cheese is probably my favorite food product. I guess cottage cheese is “cheese” in the academic sense, but it’s the nastiest shit you could possibly put on a plate.

4 Likes

Now, see, I’m completely with you here and I bet we have plenty of company in addition to the other two knuckleheads who’ve already chimed in.

I just remembered with a shudder that when I was a kid my mom made a lasagna with cottage cheese and it’s pretty remarkable that I’ve made a full recovery without psychiatric intervention.

1 Like

Ha! My mom used to put cottage cheese in Jello, along with canned “fruit cocktail”. Sometimes she would use grated carrots in the Jello instead of cottage cheese.

Yup.

Yeah, now that you mention it I have some unresolved issues involving jello and grated carrots. I imagine there are probably some raisins to be found in there, too, if you look deeply enough into my psyche.

2 Likes

I don’t really hate feta, I just thought I needed to have something I hated and I’d already disavowed dill and dried tomatoes. I like cottage cheese too, and two observations.

Yesterday I re-read big two hearted river to get ready to go to Michigan. I had read parts of it off and on over the years, especially the brilliant description of trout holding by the bridge, but I’d forgotten how much I liked it when I first read it. At his camp by the river Nick Adams opens a can of apricots, eats the apricots and then drinks the syrup. When I was a teenager that would have seemed to be the most natural thing in the world because we ate plenty of canned food, and then Nick thinks to himself that the canned apricots are better than fresh. Anyway, you can’t think about canned apricots without thinking about canned peaches, and you can’t think about canned peaches without thinking about cottage cheese. I bet Nick Adams liked cottage cheese.

Second thing is that cottage cheese is a fresh farm cheese, and the three traditional flavors of kolaches are prune, poppy seed, and cottage cheese. I always get one of each at Hruska’s. They usually have both cream cheese and cottage cheese, but the cream cheese is an upscale interloper.

1 Like

What takes you to Hruska’s?

Everybody goes to Hruska’s.

2 Likes

But usually because they’re on their way to Austin (or headed back to Houston). But if you’ve fished Cuba and Alaska, Lake Travis is probably pretty uninteresting.

Kris’s Dad was in Austin, and my sister is in Austin. We go from time to time.

There’s a strong argument to be made that one goes to Hruska’s simply because they can.

4 Likes

Best Kolache in Texas, Hruska’s in Ellinger or Czech Stop in West?

1 Like