What are you eating?

I’m in full-blown salad mode today.

Caprese…chicken pasta pesto artichoke sun dried tomato…greek-ish cucumber feta olive tomato…

I like everything you have going there except sun dried tomatoes. I don’t know what it is because I love tomatoes any other way you can prepare them and I like sun dried everything else. It’s just one of those things.

On an unrelated note I had some pickled strawberries last night and they were unreal. The strawberries were obviously pretty green when pickled, and they weren’t pickled for very long and the acid wasn’t overpowering at all and they were served with mint. I’m going to have to figure out how to do that.

1 Like

You have my attention

You poor, poor bastard.

Plant a couple of “sun gold” cherry tomato plants.

Harvest a hundred or so every week. Eat. Also, slice in half, put in dehydrator.

Profit.

1 Like

Man, I’m telling you. I think you use maybe rice wine vinegar and cut it with more water than you ordinarily might. That’s what I’m going to try, anyway.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to defend it, that’s just how it goes. Pickle you up some a them maters, I’m in.

1 Like

I’ve heard of people who don’t like dill.

1 Like

I’ve heard the same thing and I think they should be incarcerated or at least fined.

2 Likes

I did make a jar of pickled garlic and red onions…so there’s that. And some sweet/hot jalapenos.

1 Like

goddamn philistines

That’s what I like to use for pickling. A little milder, a little sweeter, works with just about everything.

1 Like

Nice. I’ll see what I can do and report back.

I used to have the same thing with sun-dried tomatoes and I couldn’t understand why and recently I discovered that distaste has left me and I’m in.

In other news, Mrs banedoodle is and has been for so long now so adamantly anti-dill (it seems to be one of those mother-daughter things at base) that I haven’t hardly touched the stuff in years.

I most certainly do enjoy the eponymous pickle, though.

1 Like

Back when sun-dried tomatoes first became the rage, I read a spaghetti sauce recipe that consisted of shallots, some garlic, canned tomato, sun-dried tomato, and tomato sauce, cooked in layers just enough so that the thing didn’t collapse in on itself. The theory was that mixing the flavors of tomatoes gave a more complete tomato flavor. I guess I’ve done that ever since, with variations, but I honestly can’t ever remember eating sun-dried tomatoes any other way.

ETA: I like a good dill sauce with fish.

When baking fish in the oven, my favorite topper is chopped fresh dill (or dried, if fresh is not an option) mixed with room temperature softened butter and minced garlic.

1 Like

I have no aversion to sun-dried tomatoes but they don’t present themselves often and I rarely seek them out. I once had a girlfriend that snacked on them.

It took me a few years to willingly eat dill after living in Latvia. It’s overly ubiquitous in Eastern Europe. I never disliked it, I had just more than met my saturation point for a while. But yeah give me that dill on just about anything these days. Especially pork or potato.

somebody needs to come up with a recipe for dill and sun-dried tomatoes, preferably shaken, not stirred.

3 Likes

You’re the straw that stirs the drink.

I guess you have to use male salmon.

3 Likes