What are you eating?

As someone who is picky about pickles, and hates dill, what is an alternative? Pickled onions?

And yes, mayo sounds terrible, gotta be spicy mustard, right?

There is no alternative. I suppose you can pick them off.

Traditional would be butter. But otherwise yellow mustard is the only acceptable style.

2 Likes

Are they dill pickles, or can they be better ones?

I know butter, but I swore mustard was a definitive ingredient.

I suppose you could bastardize your sandwich, but what other pickles do you want? They’re supposed to be sour, not sweet or spicy. You don’t want to overpower the main ingredients.

Speaking of definitive ingredients, it’s really the meat. Mojo marinated pork and ham. The pork is the most critical ingredient. Mustard or butter is a must, but honestly, not Dijon or anything. Again, it’ll be all you taste, and remember, it’s a peasant sandwich. It was never meant to be high brow. Trying to fancy it up only ruins it, IMHO.

1 Like

I want the kind of pickles that do not have dill flavor.

Like some people are genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro, I’m that way with dill (not genetic though). It’s on the very, very short list of foods I cannot tolerate.

In that case, pick another pickle. It adds texture as well as flavor. But make it a sour one, not a sweet one like bread and butter.

On a side note, I’ve never tasted any dill flavor in a dill pickle, but perhaps that’s my genetic mutation.

3 Likes

It made traveling around Central Europe a culinary adventure. I just got used to it and tolerated it for that couple of months.

I don’t have nearly as much Cubanos cred as HH but I will say that the salami not only makes a difference in overall taste, it’s documented that this was the origination of the sandwich for cigar workers in Tampa, of which many were Italian. Of course, Tampa was the center of cigar-making at the time of the sandwich’s appearance. Miami had no significant cigar manufacturing at that time.

Miami didn’t even exist yet when they were making Cuban sandwiches (and cigars) in Tampa. There is no question which one is original.

1 Like

Yet there are scores of Miamiots who call the Tampa sandwich a bastardization and swear the sandwich was invented in Miami.

There are scores of Rangers fans. There’s no shortage of idiots.

On a side note, you probably know this, but when Vicente Martinez Ybor was looking to relocate his cigar business from Key West to the mainland, he originally planned on Galveston. A last minute change and a deal on the land made him switch to Tampa. Galveston was almost the Cigar City and home of the mixto.

It may not have lasted long though.

Yeah, around 1900 they may have been glad they made the switch.

2 Likes

Speaking of pickles, if you haven’t tried Wickles Pickles - I highly recommend the orignial dirty dill spears and the hula

1 Like

Do you think this is something you were born to, or is it a lifestyle choice?

3 Likes

There’s probably a re-education camp that can help him with that.

4 Likes

When I was a boy and would go to little league games n to watch friends, I always got a big dill pickle and a frito pie.

1 Like

We had dill pickle juice snow cones, which were the only manly choice.

Not at all, I’m trying to think of another food/spice that I won’t eat, and I can’t really think of anything. It’s funny, because I pickle all kinds of jars of stuff.

HH set me straight on the mustard (I would have gone spicy, or dijon), I was curious about a dill pickle alternative. I’ve only had 2 cuban sandwiches in my life, but that article made me start thinking about another one.

I don’t give one culo de ratón where they made the first one I care where they make the best one and that is most plainly Maizhami. Ma epecificamegnte Hialeah, chico.

Here’s something weird, there’s a ton of Cubans in Las Vegas and most of them seem to live right around where we do. That or they follow me around everywhere. There are three Cuban restaurants within spitting distance of here and like everything else in Vegas they all suck in ways that you have never considered things might suck and to degrees previously believed to be unattainable with current levels of technology.

2 Likes